iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Hard Disk Players > Cowon A2

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2006, 17:53   #16
egaille

I'm also interested in replacing my 20Gb drive by a bigger one, but i've seen somewhere that 40-60Gb drives (with two plates of 20 or 30Gb) are thicker (about 3 mm?)

Someone (tipsytc) on the forum dismantled his A2 to clean it.

Just look here:
http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7309

The photos of the opened Cowon are here:
http://photobucket.com/albums/e265/t...t=IMG_2031.jpg

as we don't really see any interesting informations on the photos, he says that putting a 60gb in the Cowon should be possible, by removing some rubber...

Here is what he says:
" While it was apart i measured the space inside the A2 to see if the 60GB drive would fit in. The 60GB drive is only 3mm thicker than the 30G drive, and if you were happy to remove the rubber cover around the current drive a 60GB would fit the A2. The battery has a thin rubber matt stuck to it that would now support the 60GB drive and stop it moving around. "

I think trying your try for this "drive exchange" could be helpful for a lot of people here. I personaly would like to plug an Hitachi/Toshiba 60Gb in it...

No other topics have more informations...

If you have a 80 Gb 1.8" drive, please can you try to plug it into your A2 and try to access it via USB port?
If you do so, can you check if you can easily close the Cowon, once the new (bigger?) drive is inserted?

Here are some things you should also do before processing / in case of failure.

1- If you have problems, try to format your 80Gb drive outside the Cowon... If you do so, remember to copy firmware update files in the root directory, for automatic update.
2- Try to mirror your 20Gb drive (using Norton Ghost, or Drive Image...) before dumping it from the Cowon. It should be usefull (in case some exotic partition settings would be necessary for the new drive).

Thanks in advance.
see ya.

Last edited by egaille; 02-16-2006 at 17:55..
egaille is offline View egaille's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-17-2006, 08:35   #17
pilsnernils

I've spoken to some people who have good knowledge in these kind of things, and they all say that it should be really easy, especially since the A2 comes with great capabilities of upgrading firmware so easily. I already have an external drive which is 80 GB which I'd like to try. The thing is, and it's not just a small thing, is that I'm not sure I really want to open my A2. I don't know how to do it and I don't want to risk damaging anything. I'd like to see those photos in the link above, but the link seems broken... Once I get a little more information around this topic I'd be happy to try it, especially if someone can tell me how to open the A2's case smoothly without destroying it.

Keep me posted on this.
pilsnernils is offline View pilsnernils's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:39   #18
pilsnernils

Ok, I've seen the pictures. Will someone let me know how to open the case without making major damage? Meanwhile I will measure the thickness of my 80GB harddrive.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:41   #19
pilsnernils

Other forum threads have described that the rubber in each corner can be removed easily with wooden toothpicks, and that each rubber hides a screw... this should make it all a lot easier. Thanks guys, really good work.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:46   #20
pilsnernils

I think this thread should be closed out and joined with the following:

http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7309
Old 02-19-2006, 09:09   #21
egaille

pilsnernils > did you notice each thread points to another... Nothing is moving!
Your thread is the most advanced since YOU POCESS a A2 and a 80 Gb hard drive.
As you said, each corner can be removed easily with wooden toothpicks inserted in the very small holes that you can see on every four. Under each corner, you have 4 screws, then it opens.

You do it or you don't. Soon if i get a 60Gb 1.8" hard drive, i'll ilmmediately try. but for now, i need to spend my money in other things (travel to japan).

I think there's no big danger in replacing the drive, powering it on (without re-screwing it) and let us know what happens...

If i had another drive, i would do it, as my 20Gb is full since the first day i bought it.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:51   #22
taxxon

Send a message via Yahoo to taxxon

Does it have to be Toshiba or any brand with compatible size would do?
Guitar gears: Jackson DK1 Bengal Tiger, Jackson KE3 skulls, Randall V2 head with 2x12 cab, Vox Tonelab ST
Camera: Canon Powershot SD700
taxxon is offline View taxxon's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 17:03   #23
egaille

it seems that only Toshiba and Hitachi produce 1.8 inch drives... The fact is that Toshiba and Hitachi don't have the same plugs !!! As you can see,

Toshiba drives (MK6006GAH model 30 and 60gb) with connector on top:

you can see here the connector of the Toshiba MK3006GAL, which is based on the same form factor:
http://images.tomshardware.com/2005/...-connector.jpg

and now the Hitachi drive (model c4k60 - 60gb) with connector on right side:

Then i think, only Toshiba can feet in the Cowon A2...

Last edited by egaille; 02-19-2006 at 17:08..
Old 02-19-2006, 18:10   #24
egaille

okay guys. I have opened my Cowon to show how to do...
additionnaly, i have maybe bad bad news.

I have tried to simulate the thickness of a 60Gb drive (8 mm), by adding two slides on the hard drive's back... Then i have tried to close the A2... Impossible. 1 mm too big!

all photos here:
http://egaille.free.fr/A2/a2_opened/

So guys, i think it's maybe impossible to plug a 60Gb in the A2. Or drive' thickness needs to be 7mm or less...

Anyone have better informations on Toshiba's hard drive's sizes??
Old 02-19-2006, 18:53   #25
egaille

Oh yeah, i'm just reading that toshiba will soon produce a 40Gb single plate drive
there's still hope guys
Old 02-19-2006, 22:16   #26
blithevincent

there is not much difference between 30GB and 40GB, at least not as big as worth it to open your A2.
blithevincent is offline View blithevincent's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 00:17   #27
egaille

uuh try to open it. You will see you can do it in 3 minutes... see my pictures http://egaille.free.fr/A2/a2_opened/
and for me who got a 20gb, 40gb makes a big difference
Old 02-20-2006, 10:12   #28
MCSmarties

Great job there egaille!

Also, the very detailed pictures of how to open the A2 will come in handy
whenever we get to the point where the battery needs to be replaced...

It's really too bad that a 8mm drive won't fit!!
Guess the only hope is to wait for Toshiba to make a double platter drive with a thickness of 7mm or less.

On a sidenote, guess that terminates the fundraising for a larger drive, see a different thread...
MCSmarties is offline View MCSmarties's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:18   #29
blithevincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by egaille
uuh try to open it. You will see you can do it in 3 minutes... see my pictures http://egaille.free.fr/A2/a2_opened/
and for me who got a 20gb, 40gb makes a big difference

Excellent pics, but have you considerred the heat-disseminating issue as you replace the original hdd with one which produces more heat when it revolves. And have you considerred about the shockproof issue which is vital for a portable device as you remove the rubbers to fit in the thicker hdd?

It might be ok for a short period of time if you are lucky, but I can assure you the refitted A2 will defintely have this or that problem on a long run basis.

If it is REALLY that easy to accommodate a thicker hdd within the current A2 case, why wouldn't cowon do it? There is huge market. So think about it. A company needs to test all the compabilities of the product before putting it onto market for sale. Surely it will cause problems using a larger hdd in A2. :thumbsdow

My question is does the capacity really matter that much? With 20/30GB, you already can load about 20 to 30 films one time to your A2. Just deleting some files you have watched and replenish new ones every say 2 or 3 days. Would that really take up too much of you time? Why bothering changing the hdd and voiding your warranty.

On the contrary, I would rather expect some efforts to programme some open source applications for A2 (if it is possible). That but rather the dismantling thing will indeed benefit/attract most of the A2 users.

Last edited by blithevincent; 02-20-2006 at 12:16..
blithevincent is offline View blithevincent's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 13:45   #30
egaille

you know...
i think you're right. But you don't use your hardware the same way i'm using it...

You see: i will go to japan for 3 weeks. 3 Weeks with people watching movies in Japanese, speaking japanese, listening music in Japanese. Do you think 20 movies will be okay for me, with 2x17 travelling hours in a Boeing 747 and 3 weeks over there alone?

Indeed. I have about 40Gb of mp3 music. Some of my ripped CDs, some old LPs that i have converted and some shit downloaded over internet (because i can't buy ALL the music). Okay, i only care 10Gb with me... space remaining? 10Gb...

I spend my life in public transports. Bus, subway, taxi...

And you know, as i told you about my hardware use: For example, on my computer, i have 900 Gb hard drive space... They are FULL of stuff. I'm fond of cinema, music, video. I'm also teaching arts-history. I have hundreds of documentarys ripped from VHS that i show to my students...
I'm also photographer. Each scanned photograph takes 140Mb... just make an addition.

So for me, a 60Gb or 80Gb Cowon A2 makes the big difference.

Last edited by egaille; 02-20-2006 at 13:51..