iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Hard Disk Players > iAudio X5 > X5 Troubles & Problems

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2006, 18:20   #1
Coolhawk

Default Service Manual wanted for the X5

@All

Got a X5 from a friend of mine the other day.

He had lost his charger for the X5, and didnt bother to go buy a new, he thought he was clever and plugged a Samsung Charger "which looked similar" hehe, and booooom smoke came out !:woh: Unit is still in working order, works with USB ect, ecxept not charging now of course.

Anyway, opend up the bugger and found the whole charge area to the left of the battery more or less burned pretty good out. Seems 2 diodes have burned out completely, and I cant read the SMD marking code on them, and therefore have no clue to what kind of diodes they were ?

Now my problem is I cant locate any service manual with schematics, only datasheets for the major component on board.

Anyone here have a full service manual for the X5 ?

I'm a mobile phone engineer and do not normally do this kind of thing, so if anyone have this manual, I can exchange against whatever high level 4 service manual for Nokia, Siemens, LG, Motorola ect with full schematics and troubleshooting flowcharts.

Regards
Coolhawk is offline View Coolhawk's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-18-2006, 19:24   #2
dfkt

Maybe the Rockbox developers have something useful on their site? I'm not sure, though. http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IaudioPort
dfkt is offline View dfkt's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:26   #3
Coolhawk

@dfk

Nope, there I already checked as said above, it's datasheets only for the major components on board

Regards
Old 01-21-2006, 06:01   #4
Coolhawk

Default Making my own schematics

@All

Well, it dsent seem that someone here has the X5 Service Manual...

I've now started to make my own schematics over the charge/power unit. but I still need some help. The 2 components which was fried very nicely I cannot see the value written on them.

I need someone to take a picture of the X5 at the charger area, so I can see what value is written on those 2 diodes ! They are marked on the board as "CT5" and "CT6"

I'll post later this weekend the schematics/pictures of the whole thing, and hopefully shed some more light on this issue, and help others who might have a X5 which is not charging. I'm around half way through on reverse the lines and componments.

If someone from Cowon is reading this, uhmm maybe we could have the schematics for the charge area only ? just wishing :bigsmile:

Regards
Old 01-21-2006, 12:42   #5
Tim

I think people are too scared to open it up, but maybe this will help:
http://iaudiophile.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=11
If you havent already see it.
Tim is offline View Tim's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 13:56   #6
Coolhawk

@Tim

Yes, that was one of the first pages I found for the X5. Theres alot of nice pics there, but unfortunatly, not a single one of those actually shows the exact area where thos 2 diodes are mounted.

Well anyway, been sitting yesterday and today to measure out the charger part of the X5, and heres the preliminary results as a hand drawn schematic over the charge circuit.

you may also take a look at this schematic here in full resulotion, above is very small to save the loading of this page.

My preliminary analysis of this setup points the the transister Q7 which is controlled by the PMU to open up for the charging to the battery. Since CT16 was shorted out and most properly due to execive voltage, this leads me to belive that this transistor burned out too. But I still need to go through this and look at it a little bit more.

And please do bear with me, this schematic was made "on the fly" while measuring the lines and components, if I have time within the next few days, I'll redraw it, so it's not so messy ! Also note that all component numbers/values written is the ones from the board itself, some I could write down, and some I could not. 1 Voltage regulator ? -> U18, I've no idea what type of Voltage Regulator it is 3V ? 6V It's marked "900B" and does not corospond to any SMD markings I've been able to locate so far. The conenctions to the far left is connection which go to the Phillips PCF50606 Power Management Unit !

I'll within the hour upload some high res pictures of the board itself.

Untill then...

Regards

Last edited by Coolhawk; 01-22-2006 at 14:23..
Old 01-22-2006, 16:54   #7
Coolhawk

@All

Ok, draft 2 is ready, I think this is the closets I can come to this circuit without ripping the PCB apart.... Now it's a lot more easier to understand it all.

I'll pop down to my local electronics store on Tuesday and get some of those NMOS and PNP transistor and then some diodes and see if I can get the bugger to work.

Heres the new draft.

And here you can find the high res scan of this schematic

Regards
Old 01-22-2006, 17:32   #8
sumone

I don't have a camera but only thing I see written on CT5 & CT6 is "JW". I'm not familiar with all this stuff though I'm an EE major (sophomore, so no EE stuff taken yet). Some research & I'm guessing "JW" is for "J.W. Miller"? Ctparts.com?

I'll try to mspaint something when I boot to XP (on linux now & can't figure out how to draw a simple box with the Gimp)
sumone is offline View sumone's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 18:38   #9
thequux

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumone
I'll try to mspaint something when I boot to XP (on linux now & can't figure out how to draw a simple box with the Gimp)
Well, there's XCircut for drawing scematics... then MetaPost fro TeX users. Plus there are things like Inkscape and Sodipodi for vector graphics. But if you're insistant on the Gimp, select a rectangle, subtract a smaller rectangle inside, and then paint what's selected.
Old 01-22-2006, 19:07   #10
sumone

All I know is mspaint...

This is the best I could do...

sumone is offline View sumone's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 13:01   #11
Coolhawk

@sumone

Thanks, now all is clear.

I've today replaced both schottky diodes, and Transistor Q7. And now the little X5 is charging again, case is now closed..........

Heres some pictures of the X5 main board to dwell a little bit with.

Bottom View Main Board

Top View Main Board

Charge Area. Here diodes and descrete components are placed.

Charge Area. Here we have the PMU PCF50606 and the DC/DC converter

CPU and USB interface

This is where flash/memory/USB and HD interface are located

Well, that was a nice little project ehh

If anyone in the future have any problems with charging, just pop me a PM and I'll see what I can do to help you out.

Untill then....

Regards

Last edited by Coolhawk; 01-24-2006 at 11:49..
Old 01-23-2006, 13:19   #12
dfkt

Great images - I've always wondered how my X5's intestines look. Thanks, Coolhawk.
dfkt is offline View dfkt's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 13:36   #13
GMan4911

Since you had the unit open, how about the battery? Manufacturer and part #?
GMan4911 is offline View GMan4911's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:19   #14
keytotime

To Coolhawk, can you please take closeup's of the smaller chip's please.

The chip's:
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...ts#Mec_11_2898
keytotime is offline View keytotime's Photo Album   Reply With Quote