iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Hard Disk Players > Cowon A2

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-13-2006, 00:03   #31
davvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by szern
Not sure how relevant this is, but iAudio posted a notice of the "GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE" on its website together with a link to a "cowon_pmp_a2_src_1.59_GPL.tar.gz".
I'm guessing this is the source file, haven't gotten a look at it as I'm still downloading it. Also guessing that its the GPL source for firmware version 1.59

Caution: The file is 78.25MB in size.

[The actual notice]
* Notice of GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE
This product has some free software which are copyrighted by the Free Software Foundation and the library includes the software is subject to the observance of the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation. [Download]

[The actual link]
http://eng.iaudio.com/download/gnu/c....59_GPL.tar.gz

[The page where this notice can be found]
http://eng.iaudio.com/product/product_A2_spec.php

Have Fun :bigsmile:
- Szern
This is some GREAT news. I'll start getting acoding as soon as I finish downloading =D
davvv is offline View davvv's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-13-2006, 00:58   #32
fa_pa

First you will have to find out how to compile it which could actualy be impossible since some needed stuff like the lcd drivers are not in the package because of license issues.
fa_pa is offline View fa_pa's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:21   #33
davvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa_pa
First you will have to find out how to compile it which could actualy be impossible since some needed stuff like the lcd drivers are not in the package because of license issues.
All drivers pertain to DM320 (which is fully provided), so the only tough part is compiling it, but all the files are there as far as I can see.
davvv is offline View davvv's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 20:24   #34
dOoBiX

How come the source code at the cowon site is 1.59 and not 1.61?
dOoBiX is offline View dOoBiX's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 00:53   #35
nathan

dOoBiX

From the release notes Exity posted for 1.61

** From V1.61, 4 files will be provided for firmware upgrade (from 3 files).
** Version name will be displayed as 1.61E. "E" will be remain if you downgrade your firmware.
** Downgrade will be not work to version 1.54 beta, 1.57 and 1.59.

It would seem to me that the release of 1.61 would make us all upgrade so the release of the 1.59 source is useless to those that have already upgraded the firmware. Until such time that we make a serial adaptor to flash the firmware.

With that said I am interested to note how many people are still interested in trying to flash/develop with the new source since Exity hasn't opened a new development forum yet. Should we start a Wiki somewhere else? Has enyone tried to compile the source or review it as of yet?

Please let me know as I am willing to do some work if this effort every gets organized.
nathan is offline View nathan's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 15:09   #36
fa_pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
dOoBiX

From the release notes Exity posted for 1.61

** From V1.61, 4 files will be provided for firmware upgrade (from 3 files).
** Version name will be displayed as 1.61E. "E" will be remain if you downgrade your firmware.
** Downgrade will be not work to version 1.54 beta, 1.57 and 1.59.

It would seem to me that the release of 1.61 would make us all upgrade so the release of the 1.59 source is useless to those that have already upgraded the firmware. Until such time that we make a serial adaptor to flash the firmware.

With that said I am interested to note how many people are still interested in trying to flash/develop with the new source since Exity hasn't opened a new development forum yet. Should we start a Wiki somewhere else? Has enyone tried to compile the source or review it as of yet?

Please let me know as I am willing to do some work if this effort every gets organized.
My guess is actually that they released the sources only to be gpl conform.

If you try to compile it you will notice that some stuff is missing like the Ingenient libraries which are comercial and not contained in the source code. I am not sure but I actually think that we will not be able to create our own builds of the firmware without this library.
fa_pa is offline View fa_pa's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 23:50   #37
Aikiwoce
Meat Popsicle

Quote:

If you try to compile it you will notice that some stuff is missing like the Ingenient libraries which are comercial and not contained in the source code. I am not sure but I actually think that we will not be able to create our own builds of the firmware without this library.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. There are other linux devices out there with ARM9 and DSP processors in them. I would think that porting from one of them would be easier than trying to port from another platform.

Aikiwoce is offline View Aikiwoce's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 00:22   #38
kludger

Quote:

Well in an effort to google for what would be found in the missing /src3rd/Ingenient dir

I found a something ingenient-bsp that may be worth more exploration on a similar open source firmware for another PMP the Neuros which appears to use the same chip:
http://svn.neurostechnology.com/list...&path=%2F&sc=0

More info here:
http://www.theneuros.com/index.php/Developer_FAQ

After checking out src via subversion the above code "Trunk" I was able to config and compile it in Linux but can't tell yet if the compiled result contains the needed missing Ingenient libs or codecs for the cowon source or if it's just another version of the Ingenient pieces included in the Cowon A2 source... the config options definitely seem to support the same TI chipset.

Still playing with it some more but posting the info in case anyone else more embedded-linux savvy can make more progress... either way that Neuros site seems to be a good resource as it seems to be a similar firmware effort for similar/same TI hardware/chipset.

If anyone has been able to find other source code resources especially an A2 emulator I'd be interested since even if I get something to compile it would take some serious faith to install it and risking bricking my awesome A2.

Enjoy.

--John
kludger is offline View kludger's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:59   #39
charston

How can I write my own firmware?
charston is offline View charston's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 13:03   #40
nowyoucanlaugh
laziness is a lifestyle

Send a message via AIM to nowyoucanlaugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by charston
my guess is that if you don't know how already, you won't be able to for a long time. You need to be a skilled programmer, or else we would see tens of thousands of new programs every day.
Old 04-20-2006, 14:31   #41
eric3a

Quote:

Years of coding experience probably a good start.
Eric
eric3a is offline View eric3a's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:52   #42
jontupper

How can I write my own firmware... thats cute
jontupper is offline View jontupper's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 18:44   #43
RadikalEd

I'm new here and I just got my A2 a couple of weeks ago because of the potential to mod the hell out of it. I've scanned this thread and have some information that might help with compiling the sources. I'm a software architect that works with mobile devices writing embeded software, the vast majority of these devices use ARM processors (ARM7, ARM9 usually), and I believe the A2 does run an ARM processor. To compile for these devices you need the GNU cross compiler for ARM, I use this with cygwin to create executables for the ARM devices.

It's been a while since I've built the cross compiler so you'll have to give me a couple of days to piece the process together. In the meantime these links should be some help.

http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc.html
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/

Let me know if i'm totally off-base here. Also, any information regarding the structure of the code would be sweet (there aren't many comments in it).

Thanks,
RadikalEd is offline View RadikalEd's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:03   #44
TNBY963

I don't know anything about coding, but keep up the good work :bigthumbs

Music teacher with a love for gadgets
TNBY963 is offline View TNBY963's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:39   #45
borman

Default Cowon A2 inside

Do you want to look inside?:coolio:
ok - http://rgsu-ust.ru/pleer/photos.html | http://rgsu-ust.ru/pleer/chip.html