iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Hard Disk Players > Cowon X7

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2012, 08:27   #1
Parsnips

Default X7 - Important Information for your player

Im about to receive my 4th X7 player in 3 months!

player 1 - Stuck updating database
player 2 - battery died after 2-3 hours
player 3 - Stuck updating database
player 4 - Coming soon!

I keep trying as it does have such a lovely sound and I need 160GB!

I learnt from a Technical guy who has been in contact with Cowon that they are aware of the database sticking problem and they are working on it as we speak

Some important points to know if you are getting or have a Cowon X7

1. NEVER use 64bit/Linux/Mac as this can completely corrupt the internal file structure and brake your player. Just because your computer can see it doesn't mean its ok to use it
-. One solution I used to get round this was to use a virtual PC (you can pm me for details) with XP loaded onto it. It was free and easy to set up

2. When transferring music delete everything except the audio files themselves! Following various advice I deleted all extraneous text/mdf/cover art files from folders before transferring music to the player - I managed to fill 150GB doing this with no problems . . . Although this was the player with the broken battery!

3. Until the software is updated and becomes stable I would suggest caution at loading different UI's such as Leaf & Sense because in theory, this would break your warranty

4. Perhaps only load small amount of file at any one time. I Think that FLAC files are ok. I suspect there is something with MP3 files that is causing the problems, maybe tagging??

... If anyone is interested there are also some tips on getting your player working which dont appear anywhere in the instructions!
Parsnips is offline View Parsnips's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-16-2012, 10:10   #2
TheDarkSide
Haters gonna hate,...

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkSide

I know a mod, on Anythingbutipod, who owns an X7. He uses Windows 7 64bit, and has NEVER had an issue with it. I know of the problems with MAC OS, and Linux as well. With Windows 7 64bit, with the USA model of the X7, there is no problems.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:03   #3
Parsnips

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
I know a mod, on Anythingbutipod, who owns an X7. He uses Windows 7 64bit, and has NEVER had an issue with it. I know of the problems with MAC OS, and Linux as well. With Windows 7 64bit, with the USA model of the X7, there is no problems.
Thanks for that info, good to know. I only heard about the specifics of why they indicate there is no support for 64bit this morning from a technician who has been talking directly to the engineers at Cowon just recently.He did say 'could break' but what the risks are off 64bit O/S actually breaking the file structure...who knows?
They certainly don't make it clear about the nature of the 'potential' seriousness of this issue which is not the best communication considering how the X7 can be clearly seen within the 64bit win7 O/S

Anyway, I hope this brings a little clarity on this particular topic
Old 03-16-2012, 12:21   #4
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

i think win7 introduced some new systems for dealing with partitions and ntfs volumes, although im a lil unclear about it.

i guess it's a matter of "if it aint broke, dont fix it" or just dont try and be clever with it. standard settings probably being ok.

the filetypes shouldnt really have any influence on it corrupting the filesystem or crashing out the player due to the transfer process.

Last edited by Enzyme; 03-16-2012 at 12:26..
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 13:59   #5
paulr

I don't understand this. How can the player possibly tell whether you're using a 64 bit OS? This sounds more like compatibility problems with some particular MTP applications. Why not use MSC mode instead?
paulr is offline View paulr's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 14:31   #6
Parsnips

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulr View Post
I don't understand this. How can the player possibly tell whether you're using a 64 bit OS? This sounds more like compatibility problems with some particular MTP applications. Why not use MSC mode instead?
When you connect the X7 to your 64bit win 7 computer, you see the hard drive and the flash drive appear as normal

The problem is that Cowon say that 64Bit is not supported.
BUT because the drive/player appears in 64bit systems people feel its ok to go ahead and use it.

The point is that Cowon engineers told a technical support engineer that using 64bit can cause the internal file structure to corrupt and further can cause the player to become unusable
Old 03-17-2012, 18:07   #7
tiddlywinks

Default If its 64 Bit OS problem should be a consistent problem?

It would be good to know what the settings are on those 64 bit computers that have a problem, logically what use would computers be if they could randomly cause system changes? it seems to me that because it causes problems on some 64 bit setups and not others means there is something about the setup/software of the computers that have the problem. I use my X7 and my A3 with my Windows 7 PC with no problems (so far!! ) FWIIW
tiddlywinks is offline View tiddlywinks's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:53   #8
Parsnips

Here's some possible things that could cause faults on the Cowon X7:

File Types:

Internet links
cue
txt
Thumbs.db
m3u
.cue
.nfo
.log
.directory
.pdf
Wrongly named picture files?
Tagged strangely / out of date?
Unsupported text such as language other than English

Hardware/OS

Mac
Linux
All 64 Bit

If anyone has a fault with their cowon which was caused by any of the above please let us know. It would be a real service if we could say which files can cause an error. Personally, Ive been deleting all but the audio files themselves! A pain to do but....

Last edited by Parsnips; 03-21-2012 at 12:24..
Old 03-23-2012, 17:32   #9
Flip Martian

I have a 64bit laptop and load up image files for my FLAC files (as I can't embed images in them, however I try). No real problems. Mind you, I've never transferred gigabytes of files at a time... That does seem to be a common cause of errors.
Flip Martian is offline View Flip Martian's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 20:33   #10
Parsnips

Does anyone use their X7 only with Lossless and if so, how long does your battery last?
Old 03-26-2012, 06:56   #11
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

Quote:
It would be good to know what the settings are on those 64 bit computers that have a problem
the only things i can think of that are perhaps different, are the usb setup win7\vista uses compared with previous os's, but obviously that's not simply a x64 issue.

also could it be that newer computers (tweaked ones) are able to take advantage of greater hard drive cluster sizes etc, if a file were to be taken from such a setup could it cause issues?

on my current system i use about 4X the default, there was no need to go higher although the options are there.
ive never had a problem with corruption except when using the SDformatter (non windows).
maybe it's one of the massively high settings some people employ?
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:49   #12
b00ner

Hey Parsnips,

I'm currently on my 2nd X7 in 3 weeks, and I'm having the same problem with Updating Database, and I want to try and fix it before sending it back for good.

I'm using XP, and both times have grabbed my whole music folder (which seems to be causing the problem) and dumping it onto the player. I wouldn't mind the issue except that I have no way of accessing the hard drive to remove the files and experiment with what is causing the problem. I've tried letting battery run out and resetting it several times but after a while of loading you can hear the hard drive stop spinning and no response.

Any chance you discovered a way of recovering the player? If so I'd appreciate the help, as this player seems awesome... except for this ridiculous issue. I haven't even heard a song played through it : (
b00ner is offline View b00ner's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:08   #13
Parsnips

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00ner View Post
Hey Parsnips,

I'm currently on my 2nd X7 in 3 weeks, and I'm having the same problem with Updating Database, and I want to try and fix it before sending it back for good.

I'm using XP, and both times have grabbed my whole music folder (which seems to be causing the problem) and dumping it onto the player. I wouldn't mind the issue except that I have no way of accessing the hard drive to remove the files and experiment with what is causing the problem. I've tried letting battery run out and resetting it several times but after a while of loading you can hear the hard drive stop spinning and no response.

Any chance you discovered a way of recovering the player? If so I'd appreciate the help, as this player seems awesome... except for this ridiculous issue. I haven't even heard a song played through it : (
After my 4th bricked player I had to call it a day and exchange for a J3...which although I can only get a maximum of 64gb works perfectly.
Got to say Im so pissed off and angry and Cowon for releasing a product that is quite clearly completely f****d. If I could afford a lawyer I would sue them for hours of lost time. Sorry buddy
Old 06-25-2012, 05:12   #14
Parsnips

I did notice that one of the chips inside the cowon is 32bit! which may explain why 64bit computers 'may' be an issues in bricking them, although
1 - I used a 32bit laptop
2 - I transfered a maximum of 10 folders/albums at a time before disconnecting and allowing it to update
3 - I went through every single folder to remove all artwork / text files / etc

and still...4 bricked players over a few months
Old 06-25-2012, 05:57   #15
b00ner

Its a joke tbh. I want to rant and rage but there seems to be no way of doing it to anyone at Cowon...

Im also thinking that even if I do manage to fluke it back on, it seems that I might only get more problems down the track when I cant simply return it through Amazons, pretty decent, return section.

So disappointed, looks like I might have to stoop to an ipod after all : (
b00ner is offline View b00ner's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Tags
cownx7, problem, updating