iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Hard Disk Players > Cowon A2

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2012, 10:39   #1
cbredfred

Default A2 with Micro SD slot...

After years of finding useful information posted by others on this site, it's time to give a little back.

I know that the A2 is very long in the tooth, but to me it's the best sounding player I've heard. I have a Cowon G3, X5, D2 and J3, Samsung Galaxy S (Voodoo), Sandisk Sansa Clip+ (Rockbox), iRiver T30MX and finally a Creative Zen Micro. To me the A2 sounds better than all of them.

However, wouldn't it be nice if it had more storage, or better still, a memory card slot of some kind. After a little tinkering my A2 now has a Micro SD card slot just down from the power switch. It means that I have to load the A2 firmware on to each card, but that's no problem. It also means that I can use the same card in my Clip+ and Galaxy S (I'll be selling the Zen, X5, D2 and J3). I haven't got one to test, but I'm fairly sure that 64GB cards would work in it. I currently have a 32GB card in it and it works fine.

If anyone's interested how I did it then let me know and I'll go in to details but the basics are:

1.8" IDE Hard Drive to Compact flash adaptor,
Compact Flash to SD card adaptor,
Then I took an SD to Mini SD card adaptor, removed the top so that I could see the card contacts for the Mini SD and soldered wires that lead to a Cool Components "Breakout Board for Micro SD Transflash" (Stock Code 000604), which I mounted so that the card can be removed through a slot that I cut in to the side of the A2 a couple of centimeters down from the power switch.

Probably spent 23 for parts, which is nearly half way to the cost of a 120GB hard drive, that was plan "A". I've never been convinced that Hard Drives are the best idea in portable devices.

I'd imagine that the same mod would work on the A3 accept the first adaptor would be a ZIF to CF adaptor.
Anybody have any thoughts about the sound quality differences between the A2 and the A3?
If the A3 sounds as good as the A2 then I wouldn't mind owning an A3. Anybody got one for sale?

I hope this information is of use to someone.

All the best,

Clive

P.S. Now if I can just figure out how to get this thing to run on a couple of rechargable AA's I'd have my perfect device!
P.P.S I'm keeping my Cowon G3 and iRiver T30MX because they do run on AA and AAA batteries.
cbredfred is offline View cbredfred's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-31-2012, 16:26   #2
Cowonsfriend

Hi There ! Your Mod sounds really nice. I Got COWON A2 and might consider the Compact Flash Option.
On the other hand - what about a SSD Drive ? 60 gb go for 110 eur, but it would make the player last longer.

Do A2 and A3 have different Harddrive Connectors ? ZIF Micro ... idk !

Pretty new here, but I'm still alive - which is unusual for the A3 section.

Greets !
Cowonsfriend is offline View Cowonsfriend's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 16:28   #3
Cowonsfriend

I Forgot one thing, your sayin you want to charge the A3 usung AA Batteries ? No Problem, theres a seller in US selling Chargers, which can be fed with 4x AA Batt. They ship worldwide. I get one, just for the travels.

just search ebay-com for COWON A3 UNIQUE charger or something.
Old 03-31-2012, 16:40   #4
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

gj
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 17:30   #5
cbredfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowonsfriend View Post
Hi There ! Your Mod sounds really nice. I Got COWON A2 and might consider the Compact Flash Option.
On the other hand - what about a SSD Drive ? 60 gb go for 110 eur, but it would make the player last longer.

Do A2 and A3 have different Harddrive Connectors ? ZIF Micro ... idk !

Pretty new here, but I'm still alive - which is unusual for the A3 section.

Greets !
Hello,

I'm not sure what you could find in the way of SSD drives that would have the correct connector on them. The A2 has a different connector than the A3 which has ZIF. There are lots of threads in both the A2 and A3 sub-forums about drive replacements of various sorts. I think the X5 has the same type of drive and connector as the A2 so you might have a look in the X5 sub-forum too.
I'm waiting for the 64GB microSD cards to come down to 50 before I buy one, that should keep me happy for a while.
Old 03-31-2012, 17:35   #6
cbredfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowonsfriend View Post
I Forgot one thing, your sayin you want to charge the A3 usung AA Batteries ? No Problem, theres a seller in US selling Chargers, which can be fed with 4x AA Batt. They ship worldwide. I get one, just for the travels.

just search ebay-com for COWON A3 UNIQUE charger or something.
I already have several ways of externally charging my devices externally from AA batteries, my favorite whould be the Tekkeon MP1550. I was more commenting on the fact that I like device's that can run from standard size batteries internally.
Old 03-31-2012, 17:35   #7
cbredfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzyme View Post
gj
gj???
Old 04-01-2012, 05:00   #8
Cowonsfriend

Hi again, well i found a CF Card to ZIF Adapter on eby a while ago. Its made really small, and can directly put on a ZIF Drive, which then has the CF Port for the A2 (... so, if the A3 has ZIF internatlly, i wouldnt even need the adapter ?!)

i found this adapter on ebay, just look for CF to ZIF Adapter, they go for 30 eur a piece (outragous !)

Haha, ya, havin a A3 which runs on 4 AA Batts internally would be the shits ! but i think the LiPo Batt inside usually lasts longer than ur standart AA Batt. You can charge it faster than AA NiMH. So actually the internatl Batt really ownes other Batt Types, just considering its dimensions and still, big capacity (4200maH). - give that baby more credit ;D

I'm gonna talk to some Harddrive sellers, if the Original Drive MK6028GAL can be replaced with SSD, either KingSpec or some other brand. I Found a ZIF one 60 GB SSD, really small build so it would fit in the A2/3, and it goes for 109,99 eur.

One thing I do not know: What about those ATA ... or "PATA" or well, Standards ?? Most new Drives use ATA7 ... ours did not. Will the A3 have any problem using the other Interface ? (ok, this is really technical, so either someone tried or can explain it otherwise, I'm not THAT good a computer pro)

If its ok with the Threat, I'm gonna post Links for possible HardDrives SSD for the A2/3.

Greets !