iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon S9 > S9 Troubles & Problems

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2012, 11:39   #1
The Bird

Default How do I put playlists on my S9?

Hello there! Firstly I'd like to say my apologies if this is in the wrong place, for I am a newbie. But I'm really rather confused and was wondering if any of you brainy chappies could help me.

I've owned a Sony NW-HD5 mp3 player (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-NW-HD5-.../dp/B000934N2E) for eight years now, but I was recently forced to purchase something new because the software that accompanied it was in fact built by monkeys on crack. And I'd had enough. So's after some research I got myself a shiney Cowon S9, and wow, 'tis amazing.

However I'm having trouble getting my head round a few things, especially since the player I'm so used to was so basic in comparison. I was wondering, could a kind person please tell me how to put playlists onto this thing?

I've had a read of the beginner's guide but I'm still a bit confused >.< this is all terribly new to me. There are acronyms and abbreviations that make me pull a face that looks uncannily like this - O.o Furthermore, I had a go at downloading the handily linked bits of kit created by someone named Claw (who I like to think has claws at the end of his nails) and Antilamer, but sadly all I get when I press the links are pages in German. I think they say 'page not found'. Or they might be about cake. I don't know. I was terrible at German in school.

I've had a go at playing with the software included with the player, the Cowon Media Center. It lets me create playlists, so I made a test playlist by selecting a few songs from my music folder (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...n/9d6e0685.jpg)

Hey. Lady Gaga is cool, alright.

But I can't figure out how I put the playlist onto the S9. I tried to drag it into a few things but all it did was to copy the list of songs into random places. Whoops. I know it must be possible because in the browser section of the s9 there is a playlist function, but how do I actually put things in it?

Please, could anyone provide me with an idiot's guide on how to put playlists on there, or at least link me to one? I'd be ever so grateful. I am a bird of very little brain, but I can be taught.
The Bird is offline View The Bird's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-07-2012, 12:06   #2
The Bird

Anyone at all? I'm still unsure of how to do this!
Old 08-07-2012, 20:21   #3
Dunsany

You should try the method described here.

I've tried another method with MediaMonkey and couldn't get it to work, but with WMP it worked right away. Extra tip: make sure that the M3U playlist you created is encoded in Unicode format; just open it in Notepad and choose "save as" and the type of encoding will be shown. If it's not Unicode, change for Unicode and save (overwrite) the file.

Easy as 123 !
Dunsany is online now View Dunsany's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:38   #4
The Bird

Thanks so much! I'll give it a try right now. I'm a little daunted at the idea of having to rewrite all my playlists for the third time (just done it in Sonicstage and then in WMP too, based on the locations in my computer and they take days >.<) but if the third time is a charm, it'll be worth it.
Old 08-17-2012, 17:32   #5
The Bird

Finally, it's done! Thanks so much to the chappie who wrote that little guide. It took me ages and ages, but I've finally gotten the playlists working. Happy bird here!

I can't believe that if you follow the instructions on the official Cowon website/FAQ, you end up merely duplicating the songs you want to be in a playlist, taking up space and generally messing up the folders and making them two or three times as big. I did this a few times, wondering what the heck was wrong. Bad show, Cowon.