iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon S9 > S9 Troubles & Problems

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2011, 16:57   #1
Mr_Waffle

Send a message via AIM to Mr_Waffle Send a message via Skype™ to Mr_Waffle
Default Removing the EU volume limit while keeping all config intact

Hopefully this forum isn't too "dead" yet.

All the current tuts about removing the volume limit say that you have to re-install the firmware or remove the PARAM.CFG file. However, doing so will completely whipe all the settings from your S9. Including EQ.

So I took a look at the PARAM.CFG file. Made one with and one without the volume limit by one of the known ways.
After that, I took a hex editor (HxD in this case) and compared the 2 files. There was 1 difference:

At address/offset (whatever you want to call it) 0x0000100F there is a 1 when there is no volume limit and a 0 when there is a volume limit.

If all is correct, if you changed that in your current PARAM.CFG, you should've removed the volume limit, while keeping your EQ settings.

I personally can't test this, because my headphones allready nearly blow up at 25. But if anyone else is willing to test this, or prove me wrong in anything, please do so. Myself and others can learn from it.

I'm assuming here that the volume limit is controlled by this file, and isn't saved in flash memory or w/e.

If this method indeed works, one would be able to write a program which would be able to read the PARAM.CFG file, and make changes to the settings through there. Examples are: Language, Radio, EQ settings, background, last played song, last played video (These 2 are kinda pointless), etc.

So, if anyone is able to test this for me and report back if it works or not, please do so. I will investigate the config file further and locate the addresses for other settings.

Thanks in advance.

//EDIT

I've been experimenting with other settings, such as the language, and found that those settings are indeed controlled by this file.
I'm currently working on a program to set all these settings easily, it's coming along nicely.

Last edited by Mr_Waffle; 09-18-2011 at 15:40..
Mr_Waffle is offline View Mr_Waffle's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-07-2012, 08:55   #2
Predator2012

I've bought a S9 with 2.53 firmware.
I deleted the PARAM file and restarted my S9 : I did not choose europe...and I'm still limited to 40 !
I tried to edit my PARAM with HxD but I did not find the line 0x0000100F...

What can I do to solve my problem ?
Predator2012 is offline View Predator2012's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:12   #3
Mr_Waffle

Send a message via AIM to Mr_Waffle Send a message via Skype™ to Mr_Waffle

Your actually volume limit stays at 40, but when you're on EU it stops going higher at about 30 or so (it goes higher in number but not in volume). Without the volume limit it goes higher after that.
Mr_Waffle is offline View Mr_Waffle's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:36   #4
tonihow
Cowon J3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator2012 View Post
I've bought a S9 with 2.53 firmware.
I deleted the PARAM file and restarted my S9 : I did not choose europe...and I'm still limited to 40 !
I tried to edit my PARAM with HxD but I did not find the line 0x0000100F...

What can I do to solve my problem ?
I't's still "40", but higher than the "40" with volume limit
tonihow is offline View tonihow's Photo Album   Reply With Quote