iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Hard Disk Players > Cowon X7

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2012, 06:28   #16
Sphinx

Default X7 and it's Playlist Problems

I have to ask, though: when you say, "you should clean the X7 off all your previous trials before starting" do you mean my playlist trials?

And when you say, "Please format it using it's system tool" do you mean format over everything and re-install it all, starting from scratch? I haven't dared look at the system tools on the X7 in case I set something in motion I don't want and can't stop.

To the first question, No I meant what I said. You have to delete everything called music in the X7 before starting. It's quite an extremely sensitive device and from my experience, it gets easily confused by any wrongly tagged music file.

In answer to the second question, if you were to (hypothetically now) delete say the Flash section, it will rebuild itself automatcally when it reboots, the software is that robust. On the other hand, this format only removes the files you put into it. Go to Settings, System, Information(you have to tap information); when you get there, you will have two options: on top in black letters with a green background is FLASH and the second in a blue background is HDD and on the bottom right is FORMAT.

Tap Format and let it run to the end.

When it reboots, it will revert to it's state before you started(that means a complete system without your Music files).You can then proceed with all that I described above.
To make your experience even better afterwards, install Kizune's Leaf and Sense UCI, they are outstanding pieces of software in my opinion. Available here
John

Last edited by Sphinx; 02-21-2012 at 06:51.. Reason: Addition
Sphinx is offline View Sphinx's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-21-2012, 07:02   #17
Adam K

Yikes -- I'll do that one day when I feel strong and have a bit of time. I do already have Leaf and Sense and, yes, they do make a hell of a difference.I guess I'd need to re-install MM again, as well. All terribly exciting/nerve wracking.

I can't thank you enough for all your help -- you've been clear, patient, constructive and...well, very helpful. I'm very grateful.

Thanks,

Adam K
Adam K is offline View Adam K's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:48   #18
scubaseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam K View Post
I've tried this, step by step, and even though I cut my playlist down to 400 songs, it's still not working. When I disconnect the X7 and turn it on, I can find the playlist, but the device claims it's empty. Is there some box I've ticked in MM that I shouldn't have or haven't but should have?
Change the USB mode and see if that works.
scubaseven is offline View scubaseven's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:49   #19
Adam K

Change the USB mode and see if that works

I don't understand what the difference is between the two modes -- and how would this help? I don't mean to be difficult, I'm genuinely curious. And what do you think of Sphinx's route?Again, I'm not trying to be obstinate or cause trouble, I really want to know the pros and cons of the different suggestions.

Thanks,

Adam K
Old 05-18-2012, 00:28   #20
Adam K

Default Trying Again

Okay, an update: I did everything I understood you meant, but...okay, it didn't work, I have a series of trial "playlists" not even in the file I created and saved them to but in the default "Playlists" folder on the X7, and they're all empty. So my next question now is -- when you're choosing the songs to be on the playlist, do they need to be chosen directly from the X7? I was selecting them from my library (on an external hard drive) and I have a feeling that's the problem, this time.

In the meantime, can someone explain the difference between the two USB modes and how this might help?

You know, my old iRiver was so much simpler to synch and do playlists on!

Thanks, Adam K
Old 05-30-2012, 12:03   #21
Sphinx

Everything has to be in, come from the X7. Please read the instructions again. I am using the playlists I created and re-created this way since months. It works.

Last edited by Sphinx; 05-30-2012 at 12:06..
Old 06-10-2012, 08:45   #22
Adam K

Thanks -- yes, after using both MM and then the playlist creator, I finally managed to create a playlist. Yaay.

I apologise for being obtuse, but after six years of doing this via a separate, external library of songs, old habits are hard to break.

Thank you again.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:11   #23
Sphinx

I am happy for you and glad that it helped somebody. It took me about 2 Months to figure this out.
Just note that if you want to change a playlist (Add to or subtract from it) you have to delete it (You delete the list from the folder not in MM) and carry out your changes in MM and then save it as M3U and then run playlist creator on it again. Be sure to install the latest firmware it has made the player more stable than it was.

Last edited by Sphinx; 06-13-2012 at 05:05.. Reason: addition
Old 12-03-2013, 05:41   #24
Prophane

Default My turn... fingers crossed.

Hi there! Thank you all for all the help provided to deal with the X7.

Well I have been the owner of the X7 for a full year now. I love it, and I am desperate to keep it working as they are now available for nearly 400.00, if at all, so replacing it would be impossible.

I've despaired with playlists too, especially as it seems to randomly decide that one will be saved and work, and the another simply would not-without any reason. Which leads me to ask : why do some work and others not?

I have sense and Lynx installed since the early days, I am happy with that, although the "new music-1 day- one week- one month" is utterly useless as the same music seems to be in there regardless how long ago I put it in. Is this all down to making sure all music is tagged properly? I tend to just rip CDs as FLAC files into cown jet audio, and they do not get tagged. I just drag and drop them into the X7.

So I am going to do the full operation of installing Media Monkey, but I am scared to mess it up. So much seem fragile about this machine...

So please to recap : I am going to delete everything from the X7 manually : videos and music. Shall I still do a format, as in "Go to Settings, System, Information(you have to tap information); when you get there, you will have two options: on top in black letters with a green background is FLASH and the second in a blue background is HDD and on the bottom right is FORMAT." ??

Is it important to have it plugged in during these operations?

Would it all be useless unless I tag all my music?
Prophane is offline View Prophane's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:04   #25
Sphinx

Default Re: Playlists are easy

Please eject your device from your Computer safely(if it is connected);
Format your X7 on the machine itself(X7). This is to make sure that nothing you dragged and dropped remains.

Ripp your Music as usual and save or send them to the X7. Make sure that they are properly tagged. When you create playlists(M3U), please stay within 200 tracks. You Need just one Media Monkey and it should be installed on the X7's HDD where your Music is and not on your Computer, choose portable when installing. Narrow Media Monkey's scan Parameters down to the Music and Playlists Folder.
Now Comes the tricky part, Install the Media Monkey to the HDD drive of the X7 and follow the instructions on my previous articles.

Tags
create, easy, playlist