iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Hard Disk Players > Cowon X7

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2011, 23:09   #1
deadhead103

Default X7 Playlists are EASY!

If you use MediaMonkey, making a playlist is a piece of cake! Just store your m3u file in a directory call "Playlists" on the X7 Hard Drive (hint: not on "X7 FLASH" but on "X7 HDD")

Instructions from 110775 simplified:

Install FREE MediaMonkey here

http://www.mediamonkey.com/information/free/

Connect X7 via USB and start MediaMonkey
In MediaMonkey, select File, Add/Recan Files
Select the drive labeled "X7 HDD"
Once scanning is complete, create a new playlist
Right-click "Playlists" and select "New Playlist"
Add your songs by drag-and-drop
Once created, right-click the newly created playlist and select "Send to..., Export as M3U Playlist"
Browse to the "Playlists" directory created earlier, should be in the root of the drive called "X7 HDD"
Save it & Enjoy
Done!

Works every time except maybe when you have a playlist over 400 songs.

Last edited by deadhead103; 03-21-2011 at 23:11..
deadhead103 is offline View deadhead103's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-30-2011, 13:00   #2
dhc0329

This seems to work!!
dhc0329 is offline View dhc0329's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 20:14   #3
bthaw

People, this method DOES work indeed. The only thing that was omitted from these instructions was the fact that when you export the playlist file, your X7 MUST be synced to your computer. I was trying to make playlists without the X7 plugged into my computer and the file was completely blank. Once I plugged in my X7 so that the files became bolded in the media monkey browser, and THEN exported the file.... It made the playlist file that worked. Good luck.
bthaw is offline View bthaw's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 23:48   #4
Adam K

Sorry, I'm missing something here -- is there something that's supposed to be ticked in MM? In the Synch settings, for instance -- "copy playlists" and then the options button and then "destination directory"?

I've tried pretty much everything, but I do have a rather large playlist.
Adam K is offline View Adam K's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 21:30   #5
Beckner

This should work also when using foobar also-- just save the playlist as .m3u. Same as the x5 really.

And yeah, be sure to have the x7 connected and use the directory of songs on the x7 and not your PC/ XD.
Beckner is offline View Beckner's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 23:54   #6
Adam K

I've tried this, step by step, and even though I cut my playlist down to 400 songs, it's still not working. When I disconnect the X7 and turn it on, I can find the playlist, but the device claims it's empty. Is there some box I've ticked in MM that I shouldn't have or haven't but should have?
Old 02-11-2012, 06:45   #7
Adam K

Default Playlists via MM -- not working!

I'm bumping this up because I've now tried it about five times, step by step, and all I've got to show for it are several identically-titled files which, when accessed either via MM or on the device itself afterwards,come up as empty.

Surely, there must be some box that needs to be ticked? Or can this only be done on Wednesdays when facing East? Although technologically backwards, I'm not a complete idiot, I've maintained playlists via MM in my iRiver for years, but the X7 seems resistant to it, and these instructions, easy though they may be, aren't working for me. sorry, but I'm getting verrrry frustrated, and will have to resort to emoticons:

If anyone has any further advice or patience, I'd appreciate it.

thanks,

Adam K
Old 02-11-2012, 10:27   #8
Beckner

Try Foobar.
Beckner is offline View Beckner's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:15   #9
Adam K

Okay, tried it: In foobar, I created a playlist, clicked on "File/Save Playlist" and saved it as "m3U files" in the "Playlist" section of the X7 HDD "Playlist" folder. As with the MM one, once the device has been disconnected, it just shows up blank. I now have five "playlists" in my playlist folder, all completely useless and showing "Empty" when I go to open them. How do I get rid of them?

What am I doing wrong?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:59   #10
Sphinx

Default X7 and it's Playlist Problems.

The X7 is one of the most inconsistent devices I have ever come across and it looks like Cowon has abandoned it. No updates in over a year, unbelievable.
You could try this.
1 Create a folder in X7's HDD and Name it Music. Connect and copy all your Music to this folder and ensure that they are correctly tagged.

2 Download MM and install it to the X7's HDD, in it's own Folder, it will create it during install and please choose portable when asked or tick the radio button during the installation.
3 After installation, let MM scan only your Music folder(the one that you created in X7 where you copied your music) to avoid having junk files included. After You haved done this and MM has added all music to it's Lib, create a folder, again in X7's HDD and name it Playlist. (Note: You start MM by openinig the MM folder in X7's HDD and doubleclicking the icon)
4 Now create your playlists in MM and name them. Export and save them to the Playlist Folder as M3U playlists, do not go beyond 400 tracks per playlist and stay at 395 or thereabout if you must have so much. Reboot X7 and allow it to update the metadata.
5 The Playlist you created could be there and possibly empty. Don't panic. They are there and complete. Go to http://www.oddgravity.de/ and download a little software called playlist creator, I think the present version is 3.6.2. Install it to your PC.
6 Run the programm and choose to open a playlist, choose the playlist folder in the x7, and choose a playlist, select all the files and choose the destination as the Playlist folder in the x7, hit create playlist, using the names you created in MM and save as M3U(Accept to overwrite). Do this for all your lists. Reboot X7 and after update, everything will be there. It works all the time. I swear it. If you made changes to a list, you must delete it before recreating it.Go to the playlist folder in X7, delete the list you wish to change, make your changes in MM and save it back to the Playlist folder in X7.

Last edited by Sphinx; 02-18-2012 at 05:43.. Reason: Clarity
Sphinx is offline View Sphinx's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 15:46   #11
smackfreek

I have given up on playlists and just tag music with certain genres that I like and go in to the genre specific folder and select all tracks and shuffle it
smackfreek is offline View smackfreek's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:13   #12
Adam K

I had to read this a couple of times before I realised what you were suggesting -- downloading MM onto my X7? Well, I never....I thought MM was something you used on your computer to manage things from a distance. But, okay, I'm giving it a try and, as I type, it's scanning my X& (or says it is).

I worked backwards and downloaded the playlist software. And, yes, as you said -- when I used it to open the files that showed up as "empty" on both the X7 and via MM, there they were, all 397 tracks. Weird.

Many thanks for the advice --I'll let you know how I get on.
Old 02-19-2012, 13:23   #13
Adam K

Okay, well that was interesting. MM looks totally different when opened from inside the X7 (maybe it's a new version). The playlists I'd created are now visible when viewed via the X7 MM, but once I detach the device, I have numerous Playlist files on it (once inside "Library" and one inside "Folders/HDD") but all show "Empty" still, even when I've done the Playlist Creator bit. I thought of starting right from scratch (again) with the playlist but...well, when you say "Now create your playlists in MM and name them", which MM do you mean? The one on my PC or the one in the X7? Do I create the playlist in the "Folders" section of "X7 HDD" in the device via the MM on the device, or in the X7 HDD section in the "My Computer" section via the MM on the device? Or, create it in my library (which is on my PC) and then export it? What happened to just clicking on "Synch"?

Thanks for your advice, but I've just gotten very confused!
Old 02-19-2012, 15:31   #14
Sphinx

Default X7 and it's Playlist Problems.

I somehow forgot to mention that you should clean the X7 off all your previous trials before starting. Please format it using it's system tool.

You need just one MM and it must reside inside the X7.When run from X7, you do not have to sync it again because everything is now resident in the X7. You can de-install the MM on your Computer and after going through the process, run it only from your X7 and by the way, you can update your Music on any computer anywhere.

The reason that the X7 does not recognize your lists is because of the filepaths, when done on your PC, it looks like this-C:\Users\Joseph Mustermann\Music\Bob James\One. All music points to drive C. Playlist creator removes this and names the track without the drive letter leaving it up to the X7 to assign it's own convention.

The X7 cannot resolve having the filepaths pointing to C: and so you cannot create your lists and sync them from your computer. For it to do this, all filepaths have to point to the same drive letter that the X7 has on your computer and the music has to be from the same drive. The solution was to have MM and your Music resident on the X7.

Please note that when you do this, afterwards, you have to do everything from the X7 and no longer from your computer(that means, connect your X7 to your computer but run MM from the X7), better still, move your PC's library to an external drive for security reasons, for example as backup and keep it aside. After copying everything to X7 and going through the processess, you can delete what is on your computer and use just the library on the X7(this is optional).
If you must have Music on your PC, you can then sync from X7 to your PC(X7 becomes the source, so to say) or just connect X7 and play directly from there. The MM on your X7 has access to all system resources. It works; you need to be patient. Blame it on Cowon; their portable device is a great music player but lacks support.

Last edited by Sphinx; 02-21-2012 at 03:57.. Reason: Addition
Sphinx is offline View Sphinx's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:12   #15
Adam K

Wow. Thanks for all this, quite comprehensive. That would solve a lot of problems, to be sure, and I like the idea of not being tied to one particular computer to organise my X7. I do already keep my music collection on an external hard drive (learnt my lesson when my PC crashed a couple of years ago: luckily I had everything backed up on my iRiver and just copied it back over).

I have to ask, though: when you say, "you should clean the X7 off all your previous trials before starting" do you mean my playlist trials?

And when you say, "Please format it using it's system tool" do you mean format over everything and re-install it all, starting from scratch? I haven't dared look at the system tools on the X7 in case I set something in motion I don't want and can't stop.

I really only wanted this for the gym and, as someone else pointed out elsewhere, the X7 isn't that handy a device to use there. I've been using my old iRiver (the one where maintaining playlists was a doddle) and, if needs be, maybe I'll have to get a little SanDisk specifically for exercise (I don't move particularly fast, but you never know...)

Thanks so much for all this...

Tags
create, easy, playlist