iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Hard Disk Players > Cowon X7

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2010, 07:15   #16
yke013

Default Handwriting pad

Hi,

My X5 battery is gone; my I7 is running out of space and I'm thinking about buying the X7 and I would like to know if the handwriting function of the X7 does worth something.
I've just lost my touch HD phone and I missed the ability to hand-write some notes on it.
I would like to know if I can use the X7 handwriting note capacities. The touch HD screen resolution is better (800x480) but is it really possible to take notes on the X7 ?

Thanks for your answer.
yke013 is offline View yke013's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-14-2010, 17:29   #17
TheDarkSide
Haters gonna hate,...

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkSide

What media player - there's tons of them??? Use Media Monkey or J.River Media Jukebox, they should work fine.
Old 12-14-2010, 19:56   #18
kyleclay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
What media player - there's tons of them??? Use Media Monkey or J.River Media Jukebox, they should work fine.
Windows media player.......Sync was fine except for not picking up playlist. I need my playlist.
kyleclay is offline View kyleclay's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:09   #19
vdhaval

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleclay View Post
Windows media player.......Sync was fine except for not picking up playlist. I need my playlist.

try winamp to make a playlist
vdhaval is offline View vdhaval's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 15:59   #20
muse

Why are there so little reviews on the X7 on the web? Yes, I know it's pretty new, but still...
muse is offline View muse's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 17:29   #21
TheDarkSide
Haters gonna hate,...

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkSide

It's not really a big hit, considering the horror stories we've all been hearing here in the USA.
Old 12-22-2010, 19:25   #22
kyleclay

Default Playlist files do not show up syncing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdhaval View Post
try winamp to make a playlist
Tried it, didn't work.
Winamp
Windows media player
Media monkey
Iriver jukebox
Files do not show up in playlist on X7
Show up fine in the media centers but not the X7.
I give up on syncing the playlist.
I'll have to live with it.
kyleclay is offline View kyleclay's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 22:13   #23
meurglys0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yke013 View Post
Hi,

My X5 battery is gone; my I7 is running out of space and I'm thinking about buying the X7 and I would like to know if the handwriting function of the X7 does worth something.
I've just lost my touch HD phone and I missed the ability to hand-write some notes on it.
I would like to know if I can use the X7 handwriting note capacities. The touch HD screen resolution is better (800x480) but is it really possible to take notes on the X7 ?

Thanks for your answer.
There's a notepad facility and a typist. The notepad is nice, but I came to the conclusion that with a stylus it would be good; with fingers I don't think I'll ever use it. But I have never used an app like that on such a machine, so take my account with a grain of salt.
meurglys0 is offline View meurglys0's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:18   #24
JackBauer

Confused

Anyone know how to transfer playlists over?? All that happens is the playlist title gets transferred over, an then when u click it, there are no files??

As others have said this players has amazin sound quality. Gadget show called it prob the best music player in the world. But it needs to have the ability to create and transfer playlists!! Maybe even smart playlists too (wishful thinking)!
JackBauer is offline View JackBauer's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 18:10   #25
mrdo

when i transferred my playlists over, the files were referenced using absolute addresses such as :

\\drive\mymusic\artist\album\track.mp3

once i did a batch search and replace to :

\Music\artist\album\track.mp3

all of my playlists work just fine.

when you browse your player you should be able to work out the correct path easily ...
mrdo is offline View mrdo's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 16:10   #26
enderbean

So far my x7 is awesome! I bought it refurbished for $240 about 3 weeks ago. My whole music collection takes up 63% of the hard drive and the battery lasts for days. Also I love the search option built in. It's a little slow but a big plus when you have 80gigs of music. Overall construction is solid (dropped it 3ft on the concrete floor no problem, whoops). The UI is actually a much better improvement then on the horrendous Cowon D2 UI and it's very customizable. Audio quality is amazing( includes so many sound presets!). External speaker is pretty neat bonus to have too. I experienced one freeze over the last 3 weeks from trying to play a video file larger than x7 can handle, but the reset worked fine. Some cons include the long boot up time after plugging it into a pc. Picture viewing interface is slow. Overall I have been waiting for a device like this for years. The X7 is perfect with the audio enthusiast with a large music collection. Thanks Cowon for the great product.
enderbean is offline View enderbean's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 22:34   #27
mpmilestogo

Default My X7 Nptes

Just a few positive and other notes in a review capacity. As an introduction, I moved over 50gb of music and some movies to it all at one time. Seemed okay although it took some bit of time (15 minutes) to redo the database and metadata libraries. Here's a list of things:

1. I use ubuntu and you cannot update the firmware copying the firmware files from ubuntu. The system fails to read the updated firmware files and nothing happens at all. Must use Windows 7 to do this work or a Virtualbox guest.

2. playlists are actually kind of simple once I understood that the device wnats an absolute path to the directory where the music is. However, I created the playlist using banshee, which is a linux player. The m3u files were all empty to the X7. One must convert the m3u files to DOS format by using tofrodos. After running todos on each of the m3u files, they work perfectly after searching/replacing the path information.

3. battery life and audio quality is outstanding. its a sturdy unit.

4. UI is not so good. I moved to the alternate UI posted on the forums. That works nicer. Its a text-based UI which I like better.

5. I like the heft and feel of this unit. Its functional and usable for me as it is. I also own a archos 5it 160gb device so I switch back and forth. On the road though, I will use the X7 for its stellar battery life.

Conclusion: I rate the X7 at 4 stars out of 5. It needs to have better documentation on playlists. With 50g of music, I need to build playlists from my ubuntu laptop which are new mp3s, notable songs, folks, alternative. Its the way I use devices. The X7 is a sturdy and functional device mostly in need of tender loving firmware care. Cowon should start working fixing issues, adding in the most requested functionality. Adhere to a regular release schedule. The archos a5it benefited over the course of time doing this. its now a very functional unit but stuck at the Android Donut level unless you do other things to it.
mpmilestogo is offline View mpmilestogo's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 17:00   #28
PhilK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMX View Post
Nice review! One thing: To stop the beeping (if you haven't already figured it out), go to Setting/System/Beep and adjust the slide bar to "off."
Cheers. It was a little irritating. As is the fact it goes into "sleep mode" when I want it OFF. As is the fact I can't find any "off" when playing a video, or bookmark (Ive only played with it half an hour or so TBF)
PhilK is offline View PhilK's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 22:58   #29
Edster922

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
It's not really a big hit, considering the horror stories we've all been hearing here in the USA.
And yet the X7's price has remained stable all this time---right around $270-280 on Amazon. Usually, products which are duds begin to drop quickly in price until they are discontinued and replaced with something else.

Would love to pick the brains of whoever makes business decisions for Cowon.

Wonder if X7 users in its native Korea have been having the same problems as in the US?
Edster922 is offline View Edster922's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:20   #30
donrafty

Seems I was posting in the wrong section of the forum, sorry about that. Though the player is not "new", yet it is on the market, which is why I would like to submit a German review of the X7, for the German visitors
donrafty is offline View donrafty's Photo Album   Reply With Quote