Unsure... would wait and see about all the details. 33 13.31%
No I'd rather keep my phone and iAudio player seperate. 81 32.66%
Bad idea (explain in comments) 12 4.84%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2011, 15:32   #61
superaki
Master Bief

Yep. Dedicated mp3 players pretty much lost their use to smartphones. I honestly hope Cowon is going that direction. Hopefully they'll look at my thread as well:
http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showth...321#post299321
My own website on music production/mastering/mixing, hardware, software, and reviews, check it out:
www.mastermusicproduction.com
superaki is offline View superaki's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-19-2011, 22:40   #62
Zensen

I'd rather keep my device separate from the phone. The only time I will consider this convergence worth it is when batteries longevity improves immensely.

My SE Walkman Phone, N95 and my current blackberry phones all have media options which are great but one negative for all three is the fact that it felt tacked on even with the dedicated tactile buttons on the walkman and n95. It felt clumsy and less intuitive then a dedicated pmp/mp3 player.

My current blackberry phone provide some decent sound and looks great on the screen but my battery is reserved for browsing, push email and phone calls and I'm not a big fan of using that battery power up as smartphones are already power hungry as it is.

In regards to the OS, I think android is probably their best bet but how many of you are willing to spend an extra 200+ on top for phone calls? Is it profitable to sell it just outright? Will they have carrier support and plans for the phone?

Android is changing rapidly everyday and as you can see a lot of manufacturers are having a hard time keeping up especially with a custom UI. I can't see myself enjoying a cowon vanilla android device and I guess it comes down to how up to date they keep the d3.

It'll certainly look better as a proprietary OS for a cowon phone (just look at the s9/j3 and it customisation) but nowadays it seems apps/eco-system are more important than just audio quality. look at the ipod touch as a good example of that and its eco-system.

The other options could be to join in a partnership with a hardware manufacturer such as RIM, NOKIA, SAMSUNG? and offer their knowledge into the audio arena. A good example of this is the collaboration of Carl Zeiss AG and NOkia. I'd certainly a buy Blackberry Cowon device! (But again the battery life does play into consideration)
Zensen is offline View Zensen's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 15:36   #63
fox403

battery life is getting better and better all the time,, just look at the x7 last year over a 100 hours of music on one charge wasnt heard of! if they could knock a phone out a bit like motorolla defy scrach proof water proof great camera and iaudio sound id pay the extra instead of having to carry mp3 player phone ect
fox403 is offline View fox403's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 21:08   #64
alanselo

I am unsure about Cowon making a phone/player given the poor user interface on their products. Now if it had a great battery life, most cell phones don't, and the signature Cowon sound and if, big if, they could somehow not miss the mark on the interface, not likely given the track record (O2, V5, etc..)... then a big resounding yes.

I don't see it happening. I put up with the little issues and sometimes awkward interface because I want the best sound I can get.

Just my 2 cents....
alanselo is offline View alanselo's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 23:28   #65
Xinz

I'll rather have separate devices. And actually this boils down to individual users.

Most users will put up with lousy battery life on a smartphone for the sake of convenience.
I personally would want my phone to waste as little as possible battery life on stuff that do not need to be done on a smartphone. On a normal day usage, my usage on a phone at the end of the work day reaches near 50%. This is without watching video, listening to music, and playing games.
On a day where my job request me to go around sites, it is normal for it to go to around 40% at the end of the day
Xinz is offline View Xinz's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:12   #66
superaki
Master Bief

Solar panels,on back+ sides+bezel of screen (front part which is not screen) + kinetic energy which will recharge your cowon whenever it moves in your pocket and whenever you put it in a lit place, extending battery life!

potential problem solved!
My own website on music production/mastering/mixing, hardware, software, and reviews, check it out:
www.mastermusicproduction.com
superaki is offline View superaki's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:44   #67
nintendude7cubed

Thumb Up

I'd love a cowon to be a cellphone, but it would have to be at least the J3 as far as UI standards go or else it would never make it in todays market of people that care more about that than audio quality.. But man, my J3 as a cellphone? omg I could only dream of something so amazing! I'd actually like it better than an android player because of its music playing capabilities. and video i guess.. they'd have to beef it up quite a lot with better hardware though or else it would be slow and buggy thanks to the signal combined with all the music and video playing.

Pioneer HDJ-1000 headphones, Yuin PK3 earbuds (R.I.P), Blue Ever Blue 328R "the Black" ear buds
nintendude7cubed is offline View nintendude7cubed's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:16   #68
briant1234
Kizu Fan #1 :D

it would be sweeeet to have a cowon cellphone. as long as they use better hardware than the d3, and used a new version of android, that would be a great idea
Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M50, Philips Shn9500 Noise Cancelling
UCIs:
[Mainmenu: -->Cheetah GTX|Paper|Cheetah XT] [Music: Sense] [Picture: Vision] [Browser --> Leaf 2 with Coverflow]

briant1234 is offline View briant1234's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 21:45   #69
PrankMan

If it will be able to play music or video as long as s9 or j3 can, it will be great!
PrankMan is offline View PrankMan's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:45   #70
ocairich
Cowon S9/ soon to buy Cowon J3

Send a message via MSN to ocairich Send a message via Yahoo to ocairich Send a message via Skype™ to ocairich

I would definitely buy one as long as the price is within reach. Probably lower in price than the iphone.
ocairich is offline View ocairich's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:44   #71
JoeyTTT

I would keep them apart because of batterylife, as simple as that!
JoeyTTT is offline View JoeyTTT's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 15:32   #72
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

keep the phone part simple, calls in, calls out, text messages.
o and seperate phone\music power modes.

i seem to remember the old nokias (which had really crap inefficient batteries) lasting quite a while between charges.

so long as they dont try and fit the entire internet and every possible communication system into it it'd work pretty well considering batteries last ten times longer now and we have 100x more transmitters in the city.

thumbs up for the solar panels (new high 97%+ efficiency type not the old brown casio calculator type)

add all that up and power wont be an issue.

and yes i'd buy one in an instant if they included the same sound quality i have on my j3, in my eyes an x7 with call and text function would suit nicely.
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:10   #73
lewydump

Default please don't bother

Are you all using the same cowon software as me? The S9 where all the tracks change to xml.info files when you delete a track on the player? The volume button that changes tracks in music mode? The S9 where 90% of the perfectly loaded artwork disappears after a delete? The jet audio programme that only rips every other track even though you have every track ticked? The quality of their software is simply shocking, substandard stuff that we all put up with because we want Jeteffect and we don't want the Apple experience. I think the chance of Cowon making a phone that works is pretty slim. If someone added Jeteffect to my HTC phone, which never fails to work, I'd buy it tomorrow.
lewydump is offline View lewydump's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 17:03   #74
wanbo

Yes, if they teamed up with HTC and android

Nexus 5 - Nexus 7

I miss my S9 :o(
wanbo is offline View wanbo's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 20:38   #75
RJantu
<insert user title here>

Only if they don't botch the player like they did the D3...
RJantu is offline View RJantu's Photo Album   Reply With Quote