iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon S9 > S9 Troubles & Problems

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-13-2010, 07:26   #31
crn12

ok I dont know if I have BRICKED my S9, whats happening is when I connect to my laptop, the S9 folder in the computer CAN NOT be accessed it says "COWON S9 Fdrive - Access is denied". Appreciate if you tell me if I have bricked this or have I done anything wrong
crn12 is offline View crn12's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-13-2010, 09:03   #32
Some_Solucti

I think you bricked it, yes. Go to the first page, click on the link inthe second line and read the instructions for unbricking.
Some_Solucti is offline View Some_Solucti's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:45   #33
Vulture

I bricked my Nokia 5220 Xpressmusic once. I was doing to many things at once while my Nokia was updating. It said: If you remove the cellphone you'll risk serious damage. Well, suddenly my pc got stuck, I couldn't do anything and I had to remove my cell so I had to send it back to Nokia =s

With my Iriver E100, I've pulled the cord quite a lot while the pc said I couldn't because I just didn't have the time to wait it out. Also, I remove it if my pc jams, which happens seems to occur from time to time.

The strange thing with the pc at my dad's place is that every time I connect a portable device (whether it's an mp3 or cellphone) it just gets stuck every single time and I have no idea how to solve it =s
Vulture is offline View Vulture's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:26   #34
lane32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
ok I dont know if I have BRICKED my S9, whats happening is when I connect to my laptop, the S9 folder in the computer CAN NOT be accessed it says "COWON S9 Fdrive - Access is denied". Appreciate if you tell me if I have bricked this or have I done anything wrong
do you get the Invalid Resource error when you turn the S9 back on?
(\___/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This bunny wishes it was as cool as Petra's dragon signature.
lane32x is offline View lane32x's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 14:46   #35
elohjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane32x View Post
oh. and I bricked mine the other day. I'm updating my first post right now.
In your very first post you said, that you turned your S9 on and off several times after it bricked. You also pressed the reset Button more often. Could it be, that most people just do it one or two times?
I want to know, because I'm thinking of buying a S9 32GB. Also, how many files did you copy at once while it didn't brick? (How much GB) I ask that, because you seem to have had no problems with the S9 until the brick.
elohjm is offline View elohjm's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 16:43   #36
ackers07

Well here's my 2 cents:

-I rarely/never use 'safely remove' for my S9. I have it set to quick removal so safely removing isn't necessary.
-My S9 always disconnects itself from my laptop USB ports (they must be under-powered) and it has disconnected MANY times when I was playing music from it and even when I'm writing stuff to it - albums, videos etc.
-My S9 has even crashed several times while plugged into my laptop and I have to disconnect it and hit the reset switch.

All this and I just plug it back in and voila, same as before *touch wood*.

Check by my music blog and hear some songs of mine!
ackers07 is offline View ackers07's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 16:50   #37
number5toad
old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackers07 View Post
All this and I just plug it back in and voila, same as before *touch wood*.
must...resist.....making dirty joke.....
number5toad is offline View number5toad's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 19:31   #38
lane32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by elohjm View Post
In your very first post you said, that you turned your S9 on and off several times after it bricked. You also pressed the reset Button more often. Could it be, that most people just do it one or two times?
I want to know, because I'm thinking of buying a S9 32GB. Also, how many files did you copy at once while it didn't brick? (How much GB) I ask that, because you seem to have had no problems with the S9 until the brick.

In all honesty, it doesn't really seem to matter how many files you are copying or how big the transfer is (I was trasnferring 3 movies in about 2.7 GB, i think). The big deal is just to make sure that files are FINISHED being written to a device before you yank the plug. note, you can't tell this simply by seeing if the file-transfer dialog has closed. The way to do that reliably is the safely-remove feature.

My little netbook was transferring files soooo slowly and evidently was STILL transferring things in the background when the s9 was forcibly removed.

As for the steps I took to restore it. yeah, I wondered if others hadn't shut it down as many times, or if there was something to the pattern of plugging-and-unplugging that I did (on accident) but I don't know what actually fixed it. All I know is that after I powered it down the first time, when I turned it on and got the "invalid resource" message, after plugging it into the computer that time I suddenly had a lot files (10 maybe?) in the root directory that weren't there before, like it was planning on restoring itself somehow. I kept shutting it down and turning on the power again only to get the same error, but the time I shut it down, and pressed the reset button while it was off -- that's when it started up and reformatted the s9's filesystem and let me have write-access again.

I won't hesitate to do large file transfers in the future. In fact when I got home I threw 8GB on my player (spread over 60 or more files) which was way more than I was transferring when I killed it. And I had no troubles at all. But this time I got to unmount the s9 before I pulled the plug.
(\___/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Thanks from:
Old 01-14-2010, 13:43   #39
ackers07

Quote:
Originally Posted by number5toad View Post
damn people here are dirty minded.

Check by my music blog and hear some songs of mine!
ackers07 is offline View ackers07's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 16:06   #40
elohjm

@lane: ok, so now i have to decide between S9 32gb (little bit expensive) or d2+
Thanks for the info!
elohjm is offline View elohjm's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 16:26   #41
Vulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by number5toad View Post
What kept your from doing this ? =D
Vulture is offline View Vulture's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:11   #42
crn12

Quote:
do you get the Invalid Resource error when you turn the S9 back on?
Nope everything is fine, I can copy music, movies using jet audio s/w. But can not access the S9 from my laptop
Old 01-15-2010, 08:19   #43
lane32x

Quote:
Nope everything is fine, I can copy music, movies using jet audio s/w. But can not access the S9 from my laptop
ONLY from the laptop? so other computers work fine? have you tried a different USB port on the laptop? most likely the s9's drivers did not get correctly installed in windows for your laptop and it's kind of a hassle to get it to recognize it again.
(\___/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 01-18-2010, 03:51   #44
crn12

Quote:
ONLY from the laptop? so other computers work fine? have you tried a different USB port on the laptop? most likely the s9's drivers did not get correctly installed in windows for your laptop and it's kind of a hassle to get it to recognize it again.
Ok this is what happened the other day, my laptop it wasn't getting recognized at all same error message. Last Fri, when I had the same laptop trying again. It worked fine, to the same port as well...& I downloaded movies to my S9 everything worked fine

Today I am back to work using the same laptop, & its not happening again.

Is this got to do with some network connections at my work place?? I really doubt that, as it used to work fine here as well.

I am just even more confused now
Old 02-06-2010, 19:37   #45
lane32x

Quote:
Ok this is what happened the other day, my laptop it wasn't getting recognized at all same error message. Last Fri, when I had the same laptop trying again. It worked fine, to the same port as well...& I downloaded movies to my S9 everything worked fine

Today I am back to work using the same laptop, & its not happening again.

Is this got to do with some network connections at my work place?? I really doubt that, as it used to work fine here as well.

I am just even more confused now
Curious indeed. Do you have any other devices plugged into usb at the same time (external hard drives, usb flash memory sticks, other mp3 players, cell phones, etc) ?

The reason I asked if it was only on that laptop or other computers too was that I assumed windows had failed to recognize it at least once, and thus had a bad entry in the registry associated with that device. I use a neat little program called USBDeView ( http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html ) which will let you uninstall usb devices that windows has installed. I use it when windows has improperly installed a USB devices (thus it will show up as Unrecognized or something similar). Try your S9 on a few other computers, several times each. if the problems persists, RMA it, if the problem never happens on other computers, chances are it's just a problem with your laptop.

Also, be careful when going from using your S9 on an XP computer, then moving to a Vista Computer, then back again -- PNY memory sticks in particular have a problem where the memory gets locked and it's tricky to unlock again. I assume if it's a problem with one company, it can be a problem with other memory manufacturers. I don't know if that makes sense or not.
(\___/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Tags
brick, linux, mac, problems, windows