iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon S9 > S9 Troubles & Problems

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2009, 15:39   #1
lane32x

Default Prevent Bricking your MP3 Player! (Win, Linux, Mac)

First,
IN THE EVENT THAT YOU MANAGED TO KILL YOUR S9
Look here instead. FLACvest wrote a guide on how to un-kill your s9 if you are in Linux.
-------------------------------------
Now then.
I've seen a lot of confusion and griping about dead S9's, Hard drives, Jump Drives and other such removable storage devices.

I figured I would post this, and request it to be stickied somewhere, anywhere, for the people wondering why the S9 is brickable in all operating systems. it is NOT just a problem in Mac, or a glitch with Linux. It is preventable!

When you are using your S9 (or ANY external storage device for that matter), whether it be in Windows, or Mac, or Linux, all operating systems have a way to safely disconnect a device before you pull it out of your computer.

How to Safely Disconnect:
- Window: click that little Green arrow in the system tray and tell it to safely remove your Cowon s9.
- Linux: if you are on a graphical desktop, right click on your s9 and tell it to unmount.
if you are in the command prompt, tell it to umount (not 'un'mount) your /dev/(wherever your s9 is located)
- Mac: You should be able to drag your S9 icon over to the Trash where it will become an Eject symbol.

In general, if your operating system is done reading OR writing to the drive, then it is ok to pull the drive out. But sometimes an OS is accessing the drive (S9) in the background and the user won't know it. So when you go to pull the drive (S9) out of your USB port, you inadvertently kill your device. That's why it is so important to safely disconnected EACH AND EVERY TIME.

--
On a side note, for the people who are having trouble with their S9 sometimes not linking up to the computer correctly:
Example: When plugging your s9 into a computer, you see that it starts to turn on and the OS starts to detect it, then the S9 turns off, then the OS starts to detect it again, and the S9 turns back on....
The reason for this is that your s9 isn't getting enough consistent power, and a powered USB hub should remedy this problem.

Edit: Ok guys,
I finally managed to brick my S9 the other day on the way home on a plane ride.

The short version...
...is that I tried to run a program, while transferring files to my s9 and this program temporarily blocked access to the s9 thus interrupting the file transfer and corrupting the file system.

The long version of the story is that I was in the middle of transferring about 3 or 4 gigs of videos to my 16GB S9. The file transfer was going even slower than normal, and the videos that I really wanted to watch had already finished transferring, so I canceled the file copy. A solid minute after stopping the file transfer, I told it to unmount the volume, but Ubuntu told me that data was still being written to the device so I couldn't remove it yet. While waiting, I had other things I needed to do and moving on, when I opened my partitioning program it blocked access to my s9, messed up the transfer, corrupted the memory...next time I booted the S9 Guess What...it had the "Invalid Resource" error. When I plugged my s9 back into my laptop, it showed new files on the s9 that i hadn't seen before, and most of my normal files were gone. Couldn't read or write anything to the s9.
I tried deleting the partitions, formatting...nothing worked. the filesystem and partition table were somehow completely locked.

A few full shutdowns of the S9 after unplugging it from the laptop, and a few presses of the reset-switch later and my s9 had healed itself. Sure, it wiped out EVerything on the flash memory, but it works again, 100%. So I had to put all my goodies back and reconfigure all of my UCI's, but it's working perfectly again. Can't believe it.

Has anyone else experienced this self-healing on their S9?
(\___/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This bunny wishes it was as cool as Petra's dragon signature.

Last edited by lane32x; 01-07-2010 at 17:51.. Reason: Made title more General.
lane32x is offline View lane32x's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-24-2009, 17:52   #2
Respect my authoritah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane32x View Post
On a side note, for the people who, when plugging their s9 into a computer, see that it starts to turn on a charge, and the OS starts to detect it, then the device turns off, then the OS starts to detect it again, your s9 isn't getting enough consistent power, and a powered USB hub should remedy this problem.
Truth to this guide. I think people are doing this so that they can use their s9 while it charges off the USB ports on the computer. Honestly if you can afford an s9, you can afford a wall charger, don't be so cheap and risk damaging the s9

Samsung Galaxy Nexus 32GB (Verizon LTE)
HTC Incredible 8GB+32GB MicroSD (Retired)
HTC Trophy 16GB (retired)

Computer: Core i7 860 @ 4.0GHz, 8GB DDR3 CL7 RAM, GTX 560 Ti SC, Intel 80GB SSD, WD 500GB + 1TB Black HDD
34.50 is offline View 34.50's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:
Old 11-24-2009, 18:35   #3
invertedskull
Ding dong!

Curious, has anyone unplugged their S9 WITHOUT safely removing first, and NOT bricked it?
invertedskull is offline View invertedskull's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 19:30   #4
Houle_Marauder
Dr. Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertedskull View Post
Curious, has anyone unplugged their S9 WITHOUT safely removing first, and NOT bricked it?
This is usually something that doesn't hurt the player (or any usb device), but it's that one time that obviously ruins it forever. People think because they do it a bunch of times that it has no effect...well, the feature is there for a reason, and we're told to use it for a reason.

So sure, you can USUALLY count on being able to just unplug it (without 'safe remove'), but if this happens just once, you're done. not worth the risk.
Old 11-24-2009, 20:40   #5
lane32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34.50 View Post
Truth to this guide. I think people are doing this so that they can use their s9 while it charges off the USB ports on the computer. Honestly if you can afford an s9, you can afford a wall charger, don't be so cheap and risk damaging the s9
Well, what I was describing at the end of this guide a problem that I saw on my old computer when I had too many things plugged in. It's something i've had one (two?) people ask me about so I figured I would include it. It looks like your computer starts to detect it, then the computer stops detecting and sometimes gives an error, then starts trying to detect again....like the player starts to turn on, then turns off, then turns on...etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertedskull View Post
Yes. If the computer is not accessing the player it is safe. So if you have finished transferring files, and you have all folder windows of your S9 closed AND you have your s9 set for "quick removal" then it is safe to remove it.

The real problem that people run into is when they get done transferring a LARGE amount of files (several gigabytes) and Win/Lin/Mac claims that it is done transferring the files, but there is still data being accessed on your S9's filesystem. So The user thinks it is safe to pull the cord, when in reality it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houle_Marauder View Post
This is usually something that doesn't hurt the player (or any usb device), but it's that one time that obviously ruins it forever. People think because they do it a bunch of times that it has no effect...well, the feature is there for a reason, and we're told to use it for a reason.

So sure, you can USUALLY count on being able to just unplug it (without 'safe remove'), but if this happens just once, you're done. not worth the risk.
Exactly.

The only time i ever pull my s9 out without safely removing it is if I closed all the windows and stopped transferring files a looooong time ago (5 or 10 mins at least). But what if I forgot that the song I was playing in my computer's Audio player was playing FROM my S9? oops. just bricked it.
(\___/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 11-24-2009, 22:17   #6
S9isMine
S9 Addict

Send a message via MSN to S9isMine

So what exactly happens if you brick it?
Old 11-24-2009, 22:37   #7
lane32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by S9isMine View Post
So what exactly happens if you brick it?
"Brick" meaning to kill it...
There are a couple of ways to (sometimes) unbrick your player. Keep in mind they do not work 100% of the time.

If you have an external hard drive that you pull the cord while it is writing to the drive, you can kill it in such a bad way that even if you pull it out of the external enclosure and put it into your computer, the computer's bios wouldn't even recognize it. They did test a few years ago in (PC Mag?) some online PC Magazine company and showed just how badly you can screw up some devices.
(\___/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 11-25-2009, 10:02   #8
memolo

Before i had an s9 i used to have an archos 605, it had a light that blinked when the hard drive was in use so if it wasn't blinking you could unplug it from your computer just like a usb drive, but most of the time i used the safe removal with the archos. The s9 doesn't have anything similar so you can't know if it's in use, because of this you should ALWAYS do the safe remove.
memolo is offline View memolo's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 17:56   #9
curls
Bandit rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane32x View Post
But what if I forgot that the song I was playing in my computer's Audio player was playing FROM my S9? oops. just bricked it.
Shouldn't be a problem, you are reading, not writing.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:20   #10
lane32x

Added a link to FlacVest's guide on how to De-brick/unkill your S9! (see first post)
(\___/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 12-17-2009, 22:49   #11
drutort

Confused

I have a question, if you turn off the device doesnt it disconnect it? normally i would do that with most usb devices, like my winmo phone... if i turn it off or in the case its sleep mode it will disconnect and windows does not see it

i dont see this dmging the s9 now does it? if it goes to sleep it should halt most if not all activities with the computer and then appear as disconnected, now your computer may not like it but your device should be ok?

drutort is offline View drutort's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:16   #12
lane32x

I don't think you can turn your S9 off while it's plugged into the USB port. It doesn't behave like my camera or my hard drive where, yes, i can simply power them down and they will still be fine. Pressing and holding the power button appears to just shut off the screen, and I can still access it from within the operating system.
(\___/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 12-19-2009, 20:28   #13
s9newbie

hi. can anyone help me. my s9 just wont power on. what should i do? is there a way to unbrick it? Please help. *desperate plea*

Edit: Found the solution. Good thing it has reset button.

Last edited by s9newbie; 12-19-2009 at 20:38..
s9newbie is offline View s9newbie's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 22:09   #14
lane32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by s9newbie View Post
hi. can anyone help me. my s9 just wont power on. what should i do? is there a way to unbrick it? Please help. *desperate plea*

Edit: Found the solution. Good thing it has reset button.
you know, i had this exact same thing happen the other day. but it was only when I shut it down while using Dark Evolution. haven't had any other freezing up issues in MONTHS.

You don't remember the last thing you did before it froze like that, do you?
(\___/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 12-20-2009, 14:40   #15
Mr. Popo

i would love to be able to safely remove mine, but whenever i do i get an error saying that the device is in use no matter what, this only happens with my S9, never with my flash drives
Mr. Popo is offline View Mr. Popo's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Tags
brick, linux, mac, problems, windows