iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Hard Disk Players > iAudio X5 > X5 Original Firmware

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 09:10   #1
austriancoder

Default RockBox-Development for iAudio X5

I will use this thread to announce news and progress informations about porting RockBox to iAudio X5.

18.07.05:

Rockbox cvs supports now the define CPU_COLDFIRE, which is a big step to a running iAudio-port. As there is support fot the mcf5249 coldfire cpu since a longer time, most of the parts of RockBox should run without any changes on our mcf5250 cpu - used in X5.
Next thing for me is to add defines for linker symbol files (*.lds) and check the hardware with a mulitmeter.
Also we know what lcd controler is used in the X5.. so we are on the right way.

Greets,
ac

PS: Could somebody make this thread sticky?
austriancoder is offline View austriancoder's Photo Album  

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-18-2005, 09:31   #2
Spork

I hate to seem unpatient, but when do you think the port will be ready? I don't really know about projects like this, so sorry.
Spork is offline View Spork's Photo Album  
Old 07-18-2005, 09:41   #3
PropagandaX

Could someone explain what iAudio-port is? Is RockBox just a 3rd party firmware? Sorry for the ignorance.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:09   #4
exapno

Send a message via MSN to exapno

Think of RockBox as an open source, independantly developed "operating system" for the X5.
exapno is offline View exapno's Photo Album  
Old 07-26-2005, 18:39   #5
austriancoder

We know the lcd controler and the initzialising of it. So i am working on the lcd-driver now. HD should work, as we used the coldfire ata interface for the iriver h1xx port.
So things are getting closer to a running version in which we can browse the files on harddisk
Old 07-26-2005, 18:50   #6
root

yo, you guys have the pinouts for the 22 pin connector on the bottom of the X5??? been working on some periphials and can't continue without...
Old 07-26-2005, 19:07   #7
austriancoder

Sorry, i dont have it yet.. maybe i will find time to trace it...
Old 07-26-2005, 20:03   #8
root

same here, thanks though
Old 07-27-2005, 09:00   #9
xpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by austriancoder
I will use this thread to announce news and progress informations about porting RockBox to iAudio X5.

18.07.05:

Rockbox cvs supports now the define CPU_COLDFIRE, which is a big step to a running iAudio-port. As there is support fot the mcf5249 coldfire cpu since a longer time, most of the parts of RockBox should run without any changes on our mcf5250 cpu - used in X5.
Next thing for me is to add defines for linker symbol files (*.lds) and check the hardware with a mulitmeter.
Also we know what lcd controler is used in the X5.. so we are on the right way.

Greets,
ac

PS: Could somebody make this thread sticky?
This is great news. However, when porting an OS. Is that similar to porting a game from say .. PS2 to PC? Meaning, the software wasn't meant for the PC, and still looks/acts the same on it, even though the hardware is much much better. . . .

I suppose I am getting ahead of myself for them to take advantage of the players (hopefully) faster cpu (and who knows what else) before even getting their OS to work on it. =P But, best of luck
xpose is offline View xpose's Photo Album  
Old 07-29-2005, 02:03   #10
austriancoder

29.07.05:

I have started to write audio codec driver and lcd driver. Here is my ToDo for the next steps of development:

* integrate audio codec into rockbox pcm code
* write some color tft stuff
* update scramble tool with iaudio code
* write a bootloader

@xpose:

RockBox is build for Mp3-Devices... so i see there no problem with porting.. and there is no problem!
Old 07-29-2005, 02:28   #11
austinv
Ex-Webmaster

austriancoder: cheers for your efforts. as long as this remains an active project, we will certainly support you. sticky-fied.
Old 07-29-2005, 18:17   #12
BIGtrouble77

I'm really excited about this port. One quick question though... Will you have to rewrite a bunch of the modules in the current X5 firmware? How do you plan to get things working like USBOTG, Picture viewing, movie viewing (can you improver performance?), FM radio, and recording?

I guess what I'm asking is will we loose some of the functionality of the current firmware. Not sure if rockbox supports those thinge yet.

-BT
BIGtrouble77 is offline View BIGtrouble77's Photo Album  
Old 07-29-2005, 18:32   #13
xpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
I'm really excited about this port. One quick question though... Will you have to rewrite a bunch of the modules in the current X5 firmware? How do you plan to get things working like USBOTG, Picture viewing, movie viewing (can you improver performance?), FM radio, and recording?

I guess what I'm asking is will we loose some of the functionality of the current firmware. Not sure if rockbox supports those thinge yet.

-BT
Im no expert. . but I imagine it will take some time before this port is completely ready to use all the features on the x5 smoothly. But still very much looking forward to it. Maybe one day we can choose which firmware to run. . and have dual firms on bootup. (if for some reason rockbox had really cool stuff and somehow lacked other things)
xpose is offline View xpose's Photo Album  
Old 07-29-2005, 20:40   #14
rollercoastermike

Send a message via AIM to rollercoastermike

This sounds really cool! You have my support.
rollercoastermike is offline View rollercoastermike's Photo Album  
Old 07-30-2005, 03:31   #15
austriancoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77

-BT
I am not rewritting something in the x5 firmeware, i am extending rockbox with some low-level drivers and some extensions to let it run on the x5.
In the next weeks an other port will start.. support for iriver h3xx... which also has a colored lcd. So stuff like picutre viewing will be no problem. The colored video player must be written and USBOTG doesn't exist yet in rockbox - but must be done also for h3xx. FM-Radio and recording will work.

So.. all developers of rockbox are working to get all running fine and as i must write in most parts only the low-level driver a first running rockbox port should not take years
Closed Thread