iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon S9 > S9 Troubles & Problems

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2009, 11:53   #1
da1writer
Ya'll can call me da1 if ya like ;)!

Default Album Art and Tagging via MediaMonkey

I was asked to make a new thread so that people can see this guide and be helpful in regards to tagging and album art. Original thread and request here: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29372
If anyone wants to add further information, want's to help in making the guide more detailed (ie like pics or such), or wants to add more guides through other programs, please do so ! Now unto the guide!

==============================================

Bear with me, this is a short/rough guide. If I have time, I'll make a bigger/more illustrated version later if need be.

Download MediaMonkey Here (It's free, Don't worry):
http://www.mediamonkey.com/
Once installed, run MediaMonkey and follow these steps.

1) Select the Album in the listed menu on the left.
2) Now the songs should show up in the middle of Media Monkey, select ALL of the songs and right click them to pop up a menu and select Auto-tag from Web
3) A new window should pop up and this is where you'll need to either tag the album (check boxes) with what they found or search for it through the search bar at the top.
4) Now click on Options on the far right and CHECK "Save Image to Tag (If Possible) and to Album Folder"
5) Now click Auto-Tag at the bottom right of that window and then CLOSE and wait for about 10-20 seconds (or more depending on how big the album is).
6) Now go to the folder (outside MediaMonkey program) that houses your recently tagged Album. You should find/see (literally) that your songs have now an album cover embedded into them but you should also find a folder.jpg in the same folder. Rename folder.jpg to cover.jpg.
7) Now to make sure all your album art is tagged to your MP3's, it's pretty easy to know if you have Windows Vista. While looking at the recently tagged MP3's, Merely click VIEWS above (it's between Organize and Play All) a few times on the menu bar near the top of the window. If you see all your MP3's looking identical to the cover.jpg, you have ALL your MP3's tagged correctly. Now if there is a few that are still blank, go to step 8.

8) Now go back to Media Monkey and click the one song that was blank/didn't have album cover and right click it to get a pop up menu and select Properties.
9) A new window should have popped up, go to the ALBUM ART tab and see if an album art is there.
10) If not, Click ADD which is near the bottom right of that window and another window should pop up.
11) Click on your cover.jpg and press OPEN and then the window should close and then click on OK.
12) Repeat steps 8-11 if you have any other MP3's that were blank/didn't have album art tagged to it.

DRASTIC STEP:
If some of your MP3's are still not showing embedded album art, go into MediaMonkey and SELECT ALL the songs and then Right click them. A pop up menu should appear, click PROPERTIES. Now a window should popup, go to the ALBUM ART tab. Now check the box on the bottom left that says "Apply to ALL selected Tracks", click the album art in that white space in the window, and then click REMOVE which is on the bottom right. Finally, Click ADD which is near the bottom right of that window and another window should pop up. Click on your cover.jpg and press OPEN and then the window should close and then click on OK.

You should be good to move the Artist/Album folder(s) from your Computer to your Cowon S9's Music folder.

Take note: If you are trying to tag the MP3's from your Cowon S9 itself instead of tagging them from your computer, it isn't going to tag properly, if not at all. You have to CUT the folders from your MP3 player and then place them on your computer to tag them correctly. After tagging them from the computer, THEN you can cut them from the computer back to your MP3 Player.

P.S. If you happen to see 2 ALBUM ART'S in the ALBUM ART tab of your MP3(s), keep the one that has the same size dimensions as Cover.jpg and REMOVE the other.

Ogg and Flac files do fine with a cover.jpg in the folder of the album to show cover art/album covers.
- Thanks goes out to Symmetry and number5toad for confirming it !

Da1writer's Soapbox | http://www.youtube.com/user/da1writer1985

Last edited by da1writer; 07-24-2009 at 11:49..
da1writer is offline View da1writer's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-14-2009, 17:51   #2
broilster

Hello there, I'm rather new to all this and I tried to do exactly as you said but even though everything went as you said it didn't seem to change the fact that no album art showed up on the cowon s9 even though it was on media monkey. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I have just tried to use MP3tag and it works ok with mp3 files but when I tag flac or ogg files I can't seem to get the album art to copy across. Help!
broilster is offline View broilster's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 18:37   #3
Symmetry

FLAC and OGG either can't embed art, or it is necessary to perform some arcane ritual which I don't know in order to make it work. I just put my album art as cover.jpg in the same folder as the music.
Symmetry is offline View Symmetry's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 23:45   #4
da1writer
Ya'll can call me da1 if ya like ;)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broilster View Post
Hello there, I'm rather new to all this and I tried to do exactly as you said but even though everything went as you said it didn't seem to change the fact that no album art showed up on the cowon s9 even though it was on media monkey. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I have just tried to use MP3tag and it works ok with mp3 files but when I tag flac or ogg files I can't seem to get the album art to copy across. Help!
It was a post directed at MP3 listeners, sorry about that. If someone could PM me maybe a guide for Ogg and Flac files, I would greatly appreciate it. It will be posted in the first post with a thanks !

Edit: I agree Symmetry, I thought you could pop a cover.jpg in the Folder where the Flac or Ogg files are and it would show up? I've always been a MP3 person though so I never tried embedding/trying cover art for other formats...

Da1writer's Soapbox | http://www.youtube.com/user/da1writer1985
da1writer is offline View da1writer's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:07   #5
number5toad
old guy

I don't have any ogg files, but putting a cover.jpg in my flac folders works just fine
number5toad is offline View number5toad's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 13:28   #6
k_yj_c

what if in an album, you wanna tag the album art to all the songs and a single cover (for individual songs) for some of the songs?

Edit: also, what if you dont have the albums well organized (in windows, not mediamonkey), like if you just have a folder named music and have songs from different albums and artists in one folder? Wouldn't that create problems with cover.jpg?

Last edited by k_yj_c; 09-19-2009 at 13:35..
k_yj_c is offline View k_yj_c's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 14:29   #7
Sabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_yj_c View Post
what if in an album, you wanna tag the album art to all the songs and a single cover (for individual songs) for some of the songs?
You can name the jpeg the same name as the song filename (but with .jpg instead of the original extension), and it will display that cover for that song.
Sabin is offline View Sabin's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 16:55   #8
Restless101
Bleighton is weirdly addicting.

Okay I'm sorry for not understanding this but I tag all of my music's art with MediaMonkey. Out of the 500 songs I currently have on my Cowon two don't display any art even though in MediaMonkey they have the art under properties. What could be the problem and how can I go about fixing it?
Sorry if it's a repetitive question.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:29   #9
Rianu
S(even of)9

Send a message via ICQ to Rianu Send a message via AIM to Rianu

Is there a cover.jpg in the respective folders? Album art can be either in the folder or embedded in the ID tag.
Rianu is offline View Rianu's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 19:35   #10
r4b

This works fine for adding music to my tracks in MM and copying the folder across in windows explorer , but if I use MM itself to sync my music it doesn't sync the art
r4b is offline View r4b's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:43   #11
danthelongman

Hi there,
just wanna ask if its possible to be able to have multiple cover arts by having multiple cover.jpg files in the same folder.. my guess is that multiple album arts only works if its done through ID tagging, but can this feat be accomplished by putting multiple jpg files into that folder instead?
danthelongman is offline View danthelongman's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 15:04   #12
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

s9\ogg has an issue with idv1 2 etc you have to make sure the art\tags and the s9 both use the same system and that there is no other tag attached, i forget which is which but i remember having issues with that and MM and even issues stripping the unneeded idv system, not had the same issue since owning the j3, not sure if its due to hardware\firmware or just a MM option or version.

just use the latest system that the s9 supports, totally strip the old tags (and double check it did that) and it should work (mm has a tag stripping option but i had issues at the time with it actually doing what it was saying it was doing (lots of issues,related an not related)).

why the s9 chooses to read an earlier tag system rather than the updated one i dont know but that is the root of the problem.

Last edited by Enzyme; 11-11-2011 at 15:08..
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 18:05   #13
marcoloveslaure

Hi all! My issue is that I have bunches of songs, is there a way to add automatically a cover to all of them?
thanks in advance
marcoloveslaure is offline View marcoloveslaure's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:26   #14
noregrets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoloveslaure View Post
Hi all! My issue is that I have bunches of songs, is there a way to add automatically a cover to all of them?
thanks in advance
Unfortunately, this cannot be done with MediaMonkey efficiently. For bulk auto cover art download, you can either try one of the commercial utilities out there, like bliss or zortam, or check out free offerings like Taghycardia. The latter is more automated than mediamonkey, but maybe not as versatile.
noregrets is offline View noregrets's Photo Album   Reply With Quote