Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Hard Disk Players > Cowon A2

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-11-2007, 12:28   #1
stow

Default How to replace the hard drive in your Cowon A2

Part 1

Get the Cowon A2.

Flip it over.

Using a sharp object like a pin, flick out the screw covers and rotate them out of the way

Carefully unscrew the screws with a cross-head screwdriver and put them in a safe place.

Use your nails or a sharp flat object to prise open the case and take off the back of your Cowon A2.

Be careful not to lose the hold switch which can fly loose

Also be careful not to pull the wire connecting the battery on the back of the A2 to the circuit board. Carefully disconnect the battery wire from the circuit board.

Put the back of the Cowon A2 with the battery away to one side

Your A2 should now look like this:

Last edited by stow; 12-09-2009 at 11:38..
stow is offline View stow's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-11-2007, 12:29   #2
stow

Default How to replace the hard drive in your Cowon A2

Part 2

Remove the plastic shock absorber from the existing drive.

Next remove the rolled up pads from the old drive.

Gently push the drive away from the IDE connector.

When this is done you can prise the disk off the circuit board from the other end and your A2 should now look like this:

It should be trivial to remove your new hard drive from the anti-static bag and insert in into the IDE connector on the A2.

Remember to replace the roll-up pads and the rubber shock-absorber. Put the hold switch back in the position it was and connect the battery again. Carefully clip together the case and connect the A2 to your PC. Format the new drive as FAT32 and copy the firmware update files to the root directory. Disconnect the A2 from your PC and hold down the power button and the joystick to let the A2 update the firmware. Your A2 is now complete with a new hard drive.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:31   #3
stow

Remember that the only hard drives that fit are the following:

MK2004GAL
MK3006GAL
MK4007GAL

Last edited by stow; 09-12-2007 at 06:59..
Old 09-11-2007, 14:15   #4
mssx

is this tested to be working?? if so..WOW!! great job man!
Old 09-11-2007, 18:32   #5
mikey
a2/d2er

What capacity drive did you replace with and how much was it, thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 19:18   #6
stow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssx View Post
is this tested to be working?? if so..WOW!! great job man!
Yes, this works fine. It's a very simple procedure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
What capacity drive did you replace with and how much was it, thanks
First, I replaced a MK2004GAL with bad sectors with a working one. Then I replaced that with a 30GB MK3006GAL. Both worked fine.

The 20GB drive was about 30 on ebay and the 30GB drive was 40.

Old 09-11-2007, 22:40   #7
omjeremy
My A2 Died :(

Great, $80USD for 30GB. Just what I needed. /*sarcasm

Anyway, it really sucks that there aren't any cheap drives that fit the A2. I mean, I can get a 320GB 3.5" HDD for under $80.
omjeremy is offline View omjeremy's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:25   #8
zombie woof

Thanks stow, a great step by step guide with good pictures. I always wondered what it looked like inside. It's interesting for me to see the battery as well.

One question on the hard drives; I searched for the MK4009GAL but it seems to have a zif connector. Does anybody have any information on the definitive drives with the correct connector? Any information would be gratefully recieved.
zombie woof is offline View zombie woof's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:57   #9
mikey
a2/d2er

Theres a guy over at misticriver that can get his hands on the single platter 40gb MK4007GAL if anyones interested (he posts from japan)

http://www.misticriver.net/showthrea...ight=soulpower

Last edited by mikey; 09-12-2007 at 08:30..
mikey is offline View mikey's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:00   #10
stow

Quote:
Originally Posted by omjeremy View Post
Great, $80USD for 30GB. Just what I needed. /*sarcasm

Anyway, it really sucks that there aren't any cheap drives that fit the A2. I mean, I can get a 320GB 3.5" HDD for under $80.
Yes, it's more expensive and a 3.5" form factor drive. If you can work out how to fit the same amount of data into a tiny 1.8" space, by all means let Toshiba and co know. Otherwise, you're going to have to pay more like everyone else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie woof View Post
Thanks stow, a great step by step guide with good pictures. I always wondered what it looked like inside. It's interesting for me to see the battery as well.

One question on the hard drives; I searched for the MK4009GAL but it seems to have a zif connector. Does anybody have any information on the definitive drives with the correct connector? Any information would be gratefully recieved.
Sorry, I meant the MK4007GAL. I've never seen the MK4009GAL so I wasn't certain what connector it had.

Old 09-12-2007, 13:05   #11
Packgrog

So, wait, it uses the same drives as the iRiver H120? Hmmm...

It would be interesting to find out if a dual-platter drive would fit onto the connector on the board. If so, it might be possible to come up with some kind of spacer to put between the side edges of the A2 and the back-plate. This could be work pursuing. Some people have put 80GB dual-platter drives in their H140's, which are just thicker versions of the H120.

-Packgrog
Old 09-12-2007, 17:17   #12
mikey
a2/d2er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packgrog View Post
So, wait, it uses the same drives as the iRiver H120? Hmmm...

It would be interesting to find out if a dual-platter drive would fit onto the connector on the board. If so, it might be possible to come up with some kind of spacer to put between the side edges of the A2 and the back-plate. This could be work pursuing. Some people have put 80GB dual-platter drives in their H140's, which are just thicker versions of the H120.

-Packgrog
Theres a long long long long thread already on this, summing up yes the bigger drives fit but you cant close the case.

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7383
Old 09-13-2007, 01:44   #13
Ath

I'm trying to make a connector for zif hdd. I have ordered the mk1011gah 100gb hdd. Waiting for it to arrived. Don't say the connector wont fit. I'm making one. And do research(at least read the previous posts) before you said it wont work!

With this connector, virtually any zif hdd can be fit inside(i.e the new toshiba 160gb).

I think the 8mm can be fitted inside after removing the rubber and hdd faceplate. Still waiting for my new drive to verify.
Shure SE530 x2
An Attempt to Upgrade Cowon A2 to 100GB
ath-i.blogspot.com
Ath is offline View Ath's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:19   #14
stow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ath View Post
I'm trying to make a connector for zif hdd. I have ordered the mk1011gah 100gb hdd. Waiting for it to arrived. Don't say the connector wont fit. I'm making one. And do research(at least read the previous posts) before you said it wont work!

With this connector, virtually any zif hdd can be fit inside(i.e the new toshiba 160gb).

I think the 8mm can be fitted inside after removing the rubber and hdd faceplate. Still waiting for my new drive to verify.
How do you propose to make a converter that will fit in the case?

I doubt that you'll get an 8mm drive to fit now matter what you strip off...

Last edited by stow; 12-09-2009 at 11:39..
Old 09-13-2007, 09:39   #15
Packgrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
Theres a long long long long thread already on this, summing up yes the bigger drives fit but you cant close the case.

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7383
And you missed a key word in my post: SPACER. Assuming that the drive can be connected to the pins and actually work properly, all that should be necessary is to create some kind of spacer between the back plate and the main unit. This would make the A2 thicker than it currently is, and make any cases kinda unusable, but this is still feasible. OK, you'd need slightly longer screws, too, but that shouldn't be too hard to find.

Frankly, I'm surprised that no one in that, what, year-and-a-half year-old thread didn't think of a simple case mod to allow this to work. Hell, I wonder if someone could check with the people who make the ZSkins to see if they could manufacture spacers to allow A2 users to upgrade to dual-platter drives. That way they could package it with a larger ZSkin and Sell More Stuff! Just a thought.