iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Hard Disk Players > iAudio X5 > X5 Rockbox Discussions

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2007, 10:19   #1
dvsche73

Default Total NOOB's Guide to X5 Rockbox written by a NOOB

IF YOU ARE USING THIS GUIDE, PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AND THOROUGHLY! SOBRIETY IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED SHOULD YOU WISH TO USE THIS GUIDE

Hello. While there are ROCKBOX help threads on this forum they can be a little bit confusing, especially for people like me, as they the language used can sometimes go over my head. Furthermore, it the stuck threads for people new to rockbox are a bit confusing and cluttered.

So I decided to write this basic guide for noobs because I am one. This guide is for the person who is rockbox curious but feels overwhelmed (like i did), although this guide expects you to have a little computer knowledge.
NOTE: This guide is for the X5 and for a Windows based computer

IMPORTANT: ROCKBOX WILL PROBABLY VOID YOUR WARRENTY SO USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Also, whenever the instructions say to connect the X5 to the computer, it means through the subpack not the USB host port.

Rockbox now supports WMA files. So now you can use all those files that you mistakenly converted to WMA using Windows Media player. (If you think I don't like WMA...well...your right.)

Without further ado, let's get started!

Step 1 - Getting Dualboot on the X5 - This is a big step.

I took these instructions from afruff23's thread on this forum. Here they are. There are a few things that I cleared up, which I note. I also numbered his instructions as they were asterixed (don't know if that is grammatically correct) before.

Here it is:

PLEASE READ. THE COMMAND PROMPT SECTION HAS BEEN CLARIFIED GREATLY.

Rockbox instructions do not allow you to dual-boot (use the original Cowon firmware) without reinstalling it, while the iAudiophile instructions (in the following text) allow you to dual-boot.

The complete Rockbox dual-boot installation instructions (thanks to cjbrooker for the original version of this guide):

Note:Forum member Zero Dividie was nice enough to make a precompiled bootloader, meaning you can skip 1-7 if you want and simply click on this link and download the precomplied bootloader from his site. Then go to step 8 and continue the guide.

http://zerodivide.narod.ru/swalka.html

Also, thank him for being a good human being. For those that want to do it the hard way (probably no one), follow steps 1-7.

1. Dual-boot only works with any X5 with radio for now. Your X5 has no radio if it is called an X5V and obviously has no radio option in the original Cowon firmware menu.

2. Download the .zip file attached to this post (thanks to RaeNye for making it). MY EDIT - I moved it right here. Click the link below

http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/at...5&d=1162334998

3. Extract the contents. There are 3 files: a Windows executable (mkboot.exe), the source file (mkboot.c) and the bootloader bin file.

4. Get the latest (or other) X5 firmware from the Cowon website (http://www.cowonglobal.com/ -> download -> F/W S/W -> iAUDIO X5 Firmware) and save it into the directory of the extracted files above (It will be called x5_fw.bin).

5. For Windows users, go to start, then run, then type in "cmd" without the quotes", then press the enter key, then type "cd\" without the quotes in the command prompt window.

6. Using windows explorer, move the Windows executable (mkboot.exe), the source file (mkboot.c) and the bootloader bin file to the directory the command prompt shows on the last line (It should be something like "C:\" or "D:\" without the quotes). (MY EDIT - Don't forget to put the ORIGINAL X5 firmware in the same directory as the files mentioned in this step)

7. In the command prompt, type "mkboot -iax5 x5_fw.bin x5-dual-bootloader.bin new_x5_fw.bin" without the quotes. This will create your new dual boot firmware file (new_x5_fw.bin).

8. Download the latest daily build (or other such as the Latest Official Build or Custom Unofficial Builds) for the X5 from Rockbox

MY EDIT - maxwen0 no longer makes his excellent builds. However, other members have built more current builds. These builds add special features like album art, video, even games. I highly recommend downloading these user created Rockbox builds because it adds both funtion and asethetics to Rockbox.

Go to the forum topic below and search the threads for a more current build. Usually, it is at the end of the thread. Don't for get to thank people for their hard work.

http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=16856

Note: afruff23 wanted me to point this out

"Mention something about how the Rockbox developers only support SVN builds, daily builds, point releases, and builds made by the user themselves from the SVN. Of course custom build makers support their users, but don't expect help if you're using a custom build and are asking help from people at Rockbox.org unless you're in this forum."

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?...c57&board=36.0

With that said, I have never encountered a problem with one of maxwen0's builds.

9. Attach your X5 to your computer via USB. Make sure the ac power lead is NOT connected to your X5.

10. Copy the extracted file (rockbox.iaudio) and folder (.rockbox) from your Rockbox daily build download to the root directory of your X5.

MY EDIT - Also, make sure that you download the ROCKBOX fonts! You have to extract those files to the root menu of you X5 as well, just like you did the Rockbox firmware

http://www.rockbox.org/download/

Click this link, scroll to the bottom of the page and you should see a box that says FONTS. Simply click on "Latest", save the file, then extract it to you X5 root directory

11. Copy the new_x5_fw.bin file to the FIRMWARE directory on your X5. Rename the file to x5_fw.bin

12. Disconnect the USB and connect the ac power lead. The screen should display 'Firmware upgrade' and a progress bar.

13. When this is done you should have a dual boot X5! (Short power on for Rockbox, long power on for Cowon firmware)

Step 2 - WPS (While Playing Screen)

If you get to this step, congrats. The hard stuff is over. The fun stuff starts. Fun, meaning changing the look of your ROCKBOX!

UPDATE: Rockbox has gone through some code changes interms of WPS's. Many of them needed to be updated, however, not all of them are. Luckily, hweb21 has been nice enough to update the more popular ones. Here is the link to his updated WPS thread.

http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14918

Find one you like, click the link, save the file, connect your X5, and then extract the file to the ROCKBOX folder of your X5. It was erroneously said before to extract it to your root menu.

Some WPS files not be compatible, but as long as you have one of maxwen0's builds, you shouldn't have any problems.

NOTE: Be sure to look at the font that each WPS uses. If you don't use that font, the disply will be messed up.

Also, if you use the Satin or Hillside WPS, you need THIS font. Click the link below, save the file, and then extract it to...you guessed it, the root menu of you X5

Satin/Hillside font

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/attach...2&d=1156511377

Step 3 - Album Art

So now you have a build that supports album art. What to do? Well, this next step can be a bit tedious but it is well worth it.

1. Download FastStone Photo Resizer

http://www.download.com/FastStone-Ph...-10349167.html

There are other programs, but I found this one to be easy, fast, and best of all, FREE!

The best thing to do is copy all your album art you want to convert into one folder. (name the folder "Album Art to Convert" or something like that)

Then, open up the Faststone Program.
A. Find the folder with all you album art copied in it
B. Click the Add All button
C. Change the Output Format to BMP images and then click the options button next to it. Click UNCOMPRI and then change the Color to 24 bit. Then click OK.
D. Click the "select" button next to Output Folder. Choose or make a folder that your resized photos go to.
E. Now click on the "Use Advanced Options" box. Then click on the "options" button next to it.

Note: It has been brought to my attention that you don't even have to change the size of the Album Art. Just make sure they are 24 bit BMP files and you should be alright. In other words, simply skip step E, as long as you have one of maxwen0's builds

On the "Resize Tab" click the "Use Resize" box.
Click the "In Pixels" button
New Width = 100
New Height = 100
Note: Album Art in WPSs can vary. But maxwen0's builds have an auto album art patch so you don't have to worry about it. 100 by 100 is a good median size.
Click the "Preserve Aspect Ratio" box and the "Smart-Cropping" box
Click the "OK" button

F. you can batch rename, but it is up to you. i don't though.

G. Then push the "Start" button

Your album art is now converted. Hook up your X5. You have to now move each of the CONVERTED (100x100) album art files into the folders of the songs you want the album art to show on. You have to rename EVERY album art file on your X5 to "cover.bmp"

If you never see the file extensions, don't worry. Then just name the file "cover"

When you start your X5, and choose a WPS that has album art in it, it should show up on your X5. All the other options like sound and all that, you have to figure out by using the search option on this forum. But hopefully you now have ROCKBOX loaded with album art on you X5.

Step 4

ENJOY!!!!

If anyone sees any errors, please let me know. Also, thank you to all the great people on this forum that help ROCKBOX novices like me out.

Last edited by dvsche73; 01-07-2008 at 21:59.. Reason: extra info and clarification
dvsche73 is offline View dvsche73's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-17-2007, 10:27   #2
JimS

Nice guide. I think it's also important to point out to any newbies who are looking at rockbox that installing it will void the warranty on your X5.
JimS is offline View JimS's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:30   #3
dvsche73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimS View Post
Nice guide. I think it's also important to point out to any newbies who are looking at rockbox that installing it will void the warranty on your X5.
Done and done.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:38   #4
maxwen0

Send a message via ICQ to maxwen0

Nice work!
Now lets hope people read it
maxwen0 is offline View maxwen0's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:44   #5
dvsche73

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwen0 View Post
Nice work!
Now lets hope people read it
I am hoping so. God only knows something like this would have saved a lot of time.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:46   #6
HiMDforMe
Rockbox5

nice job. makes loading the dual-bootloader firmware seem harder than it is. i'm sure there's a precompiled file around that would make it much easier for noobies, just like flashing the normal firmware. also, a lot of builds include the album art resizing patch so it doesn't require you to resize your album art or have a specific size. this is much better and you don't have to spend time resizing anything or making sure its set to a specific size.
HiMDforMe is offline View HiMDforMe's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:57   #7
maxwen0

Send a message via ICQ to maxwen0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiMDforMe View Post
nice job. makes loading the dual-bootloader firmware seem harder than it is. i'm sure there's a precompiled file around that would make it much easier for noobies
There is a copyright problem when distributing precompiled bootloaders!
maxwen0 is offline View maxwen0's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:08   #8
dvsche73

Quote:
also, a lot of builds include the album art resizing patch so it doesn't require you to resize your album art or have a specific size. this is much better and you don't have to spend time resizing anything or making sure its set to a specific size.
Thanks...I didn't know that. It is fixed. Uhh...I am such an idiot. But like the title says, it's written by a noob!
Old 01-18-2007, 02:51   #9
JimZipCode

Quote:
If you get to this step, congrats. The hard stuff is over. The fun stuff starts. Fun, meaning changing the look of your ROCKBOX!
First, go to the WPS for the X5 at the ROCKBOX forum. Fine, here is the link right here.
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WpsIaudioX5
Find one you like, click the link, save the file, connect your X5, and then extract the file to the root menu of your X5
For newbies there's a very nice WPS that is simple and straightforward, provides good info that you can take in at a glance, is clear and uncluttered, and doesn't require you to mess around with any album art. It will use the album art when you add some, but it shows a very nice alternate display in the absence of album art. It's the ZenPod V2 by MarkColeman:

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...dioX5#zenpodV2

Just download the zip archive and extract it to the .rockbox/ directory of your player (check the "use subfolders" option): start your player, browse themes and choose zenPod_v2, and you're set. I don't think you can beat if for its combination of install simplicity and informational quality/clarity and straightforward gorgeousness of the display. Plus you can get started with the player right away, save the messing around with album art til later, and still use the album art "automatically" when you get it.

Having said that, I personally use the ZenX5 WPS by BernardKethlayne:

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...rnardKethlayne

I love this to death. It's elegant and straightforward, provides all the info that you want at a glance, and looks utterly beautiful. Just gorgeous. No support for album art, but I kinda prefer it that way. If you want to use the ZenX5, note that it requires the ZenPod V2 be installed first, because that has a font file you need (the Helv R10 font); so you have to do the steps above anyway.

Then, the zip file for the zenX5 has an extra directory level in it. To install on my player, I first unzipped (checking the "use subfolders" option) to my local machine, then moved down to the new "zenX5" directory, and re-zipped the two folders there into a new zip archive. Then I unzipped that new archive to the .rockbox/ directory of my player. I could have done it without rezipping and re-extracting, just by copying the folders over directly, but I wanted to have a zip I could re-use in the future, in case I have to reconfigure. Then start your player, browse WPS and choose zenX5, and you're good to go.

I personally modified the given ZenX5 WPS, to not alternate the sample rate on the display with the file format / bitrate (everything I have so far is sampled at 44100, so it was redundant). This turned out to be really easy. Otherwise been using it as-is for a week, and am still enchanted.

Hope this is useful,

Jim
JimZipCode is offline View JimZipCode's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:56   #10
JimZipCode

Quote:
When this is done you should have a dual boot X5! (Short power on for Rockbox, long power on for Cowon firmware)
I tried this, I had some trouble. The install directions worked perfectly. The "long power" for booting the Cowon firmware worked perfectly. But every time I tried "short power", it was I guess too short to boot the Rockbox! So I would get nothing. I tried extending the "short power", but it was always too short to get any response -- until it was long enough to get the original firmware! Annoying. I had to drop back to the Rockbox-only firmware.
JimZipCode is offline View JimZipCode's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:52   #11
demkun

Thank you, a great guide! I've been nervously sniffing around Rockbox since I got my X5, now I'll jump in.

Is the battery life much shorter using Rockbox? There are many different opinions here, not sure who to believe
demkun is offline View demkun's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:09   #12
bk0

You might want to add a little note specifying to use the subpack USB connection and not the side 'USB host' port. A lot of people get those confused.

Good job otherwise.
bk0 is offline View bk0's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:27   #13
HiMDforMe
Rockbox5

Quote:
Originally Posted by demkun View Post
Thank you, a great guide! I've been nervously sniffing around Rockbox since I got my X5, now I'll jump in.

Is the battery life much shorter using Rockbox? There are many different opinions here, not sure who to believe
I've got a 15 month old x5L and with Rockbox get about 20hrs. or so of battery. its been a while since i've actually tested, but it hasn't seemed to have changed at all the past few months. so rockbox battery life shouldn't be less than cowon's - maybe more? originally battery life was very poor with rockbox (and still is on some other rockbox targets), so that may be where the confusion comes from
HiMDforMe is offline View HiMDforMe's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 13:43   #14
demkun

Quote:
I've got a 15 month old x5L and with Rockbox get about 20hrs. or so of battery. its been a while since i've actually tested, but it hasn't seemed to have changed at all the past few months. so rockbox battery life shouldn't be less than cowon's - maybe more? originally battery life was very poor with rockbox (and still is on some other rockbox targets), so that may be where the confusion comes from
Thank you.
Old 01-18-2007, 20:55   #15
dvsche73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
I tried this, I had some trouble. The install directions worked perfectly. The "long power" for booting the Cowon firmware worked perfectly. But every time I tried "short power", it was I guess too short to boot the Rockbox! So I would get nothing. I tried extending the "short power", but it was always too short to get any response -- until it was long enough to get the original firmware! Annoying. I had to drop back to the Rockbox-only firmware.
I had trouble with this when I first loaded the dual boot as well. But i found out that "short power" meant 1/3 to 1/4 a second. Try it out.