iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Hard Disk Players > Cowon A2

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-11-2007, 09:15   #1
grim

Default Hello from a new A2er

Hello
Just received my A2. The purchase was a little concerning, when the seller had their account closed by ebay (they had been hacked) Then I found out the item I had bought from the UK (cardiff) was actually shipping from the States..... but it did arrive, and there was no duty to pay, so all's well.

and then i see the US 120v charger.............. seeing the manual said 120/240 and knowing it's a switch mode I went searching in the internet, and found this forum

I took the advice here, and powered it up. no explosions followed so that's a good start.

I was looking for a player for one reason, regular flights on ryan air - and the clincher for me is the battery life. The other thing that looked good was the direct recording from an AV source. results so far are not good, i get a blank area 10mm wide or so across the top of the screen updating the firmware didn't sort this. will go to the correct section to ask about that though.

I see the general advice is to rip and encode, so will do reading on that, but i want a quick easy way to do it - like cd's are really easy to convert to mp3

so, it's looking pretty good so far. my boss likes the look of it, so he's gonna get one too

Cheers
Graham
grim is offline View grim's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-11-2007, 15:28   #2
mikey
a2/d2er

Congrats on buying the best one out there still and its a few years old. You may kick yourself that the a3 is being released next month, but you wont go wrong
mikey is offline View mikey's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:59   #3
grim

that's the way of all things digital though, isn't it? This years state of the art is next years paperweight. But if we wait for the ultimate version, we never buy

All you can do is look at what's out there right now, and decide.

I hadn't even heard of cowon or the A2, don't think they are in any shops in the uk, which is strange, we're not exactly remote from the US (or anywhere else really)

only one i saw was the creative mobile player. so nearly bought it, but a bit of research showed the wide screen version, and then reviews compared it witht he A2 and a few others.

as i said, it's battery life that really sold it for me. the fact the screen is big enough to see is a plus point too, and being oldish, at least it's developed, and has support like this forum.

owned it 2 days, and i don't regret it yet
Old 01-12-2007, 10:54   #4
computer_geek_19

I had the same dilemma that grim had,first i was looking to buy the zen vision m, i even purchased it from Dell but for some reason (fate maybe, lol) it got backordered, so i had to wait another 2 weeks. I decided to cancel the order. Since my interest to watch videos became greater, my next choice was the zen vision w. I looked at different players on ebay including the archos and cowon a2, but it was a quick look, so no reviews were involved yet. I thought the cowon was a copy of the top players that would break in less than a year, so i skip it.

I was so ready to buy the ZVW, so i started to read a lot of reviews about it, including comparisons. To my surprise the cowon was mentioned in every review for media players, and it was some of the top choices. After I looked at all the features the cowon offer, i was sold. I immediately bought it and i have owned for 2 months. You won't regret it.
computer_geek_19 is offline View computer_geek_19's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 13:15   #5
hobo

Quote:
that's the way of all things digital though, isn't it? This years state of the art is next years paperweight. But if we wait for the ultimate version, we never buy
Yep. You have to buy it someday. For me I usually check if a better version of a product is being released soon before buying the present model. But then again the A3 is very very similar to the A2. The only major things that have changed are the colour, USB HOST 2.0 and the Davinci Chip thingy. Oh and a 60GB model.
hobo is offline View hobo's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 13:18   #6
grim

old thread bumpage alert, but as it's my thread...........

Customer "it's died. dead"

Cowon Service "maybe it's pining for the fjords."

Customer "'it's not pining! 'it's passed on! This A2 is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e
rests in peace! If I hadn't nailed it to the desk 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is electronic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the
bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-A2!!"

well it won't turn on. red led never comes on, either with usb or wall adaptor (which is still working). when connected to the pc, it isn't seen either.

so i took it apart, as you do. no obvious dry joints. 5V was on the power socket but the battery only had 1.3v on it.

I am going to charge the battery seperately from the unit, and see if it fires up. If it does, i may well just hack into the battery lead, and add another jack, for manual charging. if it works will post photos.

this may posibly invalidate the warranty, but that ran out years ago.
Old 02-01-2010, 21:44   #7
jokerflingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
old thread bumpage alert, but as it's my thread...........

Customer "it's died. dead"

Cowon Service "maybe it's pining for the fjords."

Customer "'it's not pining! 'it's passed on! This A2 is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e
rests in peace! If I hadn't nailed it to the desk 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is electronic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the
bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-A2!!"

well it won't turn on. red led never comes on, either with usb or wall adaptor (which is still working). when connected to the pc, it isn't seen either.

so i took it apart, as you do. no obvious dry joints. 5V was on the power socket but the battery only had 1.3v on it.

I am going to charge the battery seperately from the unit, and see if it fires up. If it does, i may well just hack into the battery lead, and add another jack, for manual charging. if it works will post photos.

this may posibly invalidate the warranty, but that ran out years ago.
You should of try to leave it on the pc charge for a few days, as that is a sort of trickle charge. Or buy a new battery on ebay etc.