iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Hard Disk Players > Cowon A2

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2006, 08:12   #1
doniago
I, Like, Do Stuff Here.

Send a message via ICQ to doniago Send a message via Yahoo to doniago
Default A2 Faq

Please post all frequently asked questions here, along with the (correct) answers. Hopefully this will cut down on the number of recurring topics and serve as a decent central point for information.

I'll get us started, and try to maintain this as it grows larger.

DISCLAIMER: Unless specifically stated, these answers should be considered unofficial.

Accessories
Q) What does the A2 use for input/output?
A) The A2 supports recording/playback via a _proprietary_ cable that inputs/outputs composite video and stereo audio (RCA jacks). It also connects to a PC or other devices using a standard USB cable.

Firmware
Q) What is the most current firmware version?
A) 1.81

Q) Do I need to install all available firmwares, or only the most recent?
A) Only the most recent. All changes made in previous firmwares are included within the current release.

Playback
Q) Is Album Art supported?
A) Yes. The easiest way is to drop a copy of the image (jpeg format) into the folder holding the tunes that you want to display that image for.

Q) What's the maximum video resolution when outputting through the A/V cable?
A) 720 x 576.

Recording
Q) Can I record in from my DVD player (PAL and NTSC)?
A) Yes, using the cable that's included with the A2. Note that this _may_ not work depending on whether your DVD is protected. In any event, we _strongly_ recommend ripping a DVD and then encoding it to a file over a direct recording. See below for more information.

Q) What format does the A2 record music in?
A) MP3, up to 192 kbps.

Other Features
Q) What is DMB and how can I use it?
A) DMB is a special form of broadcast that's only available in Korea (and other places?). You would need a special accessory to receive DMB broadcasts. For the most part, if you don't know your country has it, you can't use it.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all."

Last edited by doniago; 11-23-2006 at 11:35..
doniago is offline View doniago's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-30-2006, 09:48   #2
MCSmarties

Q: Do I need to buy a different AC adapter to use the A2 in (insert country here) ?
A: No. The AC adapter bundled with the A2 works from 100 - 240V and 50/60Hz even though the label states "110V / 50Hz" only.
This has been confirmed by several people. Cowon America's offical answer can be found here.

Q: I want to update the firmare on my A2. Do I need to install all firmwares in turn or only the latest version?
A: You only need to install the latest firmware version.

Q: How do I update the firmware?
A: See this thread.

Q: When I try to load a DivX/XViD video file, the A2 says "codec not supported". But other similar movies work!
A: Most likely the file was encoded using advanced codec features that the A2 does not support.
To check, download GSpot 2.52 BETA (you MUST use this version) and run it on the file in question.
If "GMC" or "QPEL" light up (under the green "Codec(s) are installed" message, see screenshot below) then you need to reencode the file.

Q: How do I "transfer" a DVD movie to my A2 in good quality?
A: You will need to rip the DVD to your harddisk and then transcode it to a format that the A2 supports.
The Jetaudio software bundled with your A2 is a good starting point but other programs offer much more flexibility.
A great all-in-one beginner's guide that uses AutoGK can be found here.
An excellent, extremely thorough guide using the same program has also been posted on the Cowon America forum.

If you prefer to use different programs, there is a wide choice of other rippers and convertors to choose from.

Q: But what are the best parameters for movies? I don't understand any of this technical mumbo-jumbo talk!
Some good links to learn more about it:
Video basics
Aspect ratios
Codec comparisons
A discussion on video resolution

Q: How do I rip CDs in the best possible quality?
A: Use Exact Audio Copy. Pick the guide that best suits your needs.

Q: But what audio codec should I use?!
A: There's no clear-cut answer for this one. A good guide is here. Recommended codecs for the A2 are FLAC, OGG and of course MP3.

Q: Why do some of my MP3 tracks keep skipping?
A: This is a serious bug with the A2 (uncorrected as of June 2007) where MP3s encoded in a certain way won't work.
Read this thread for more information. EDIT: Firmware 1.91 has finally fixed this problem!

Q: How do I use the A2 remote? There was no manual attached to it and the buttons do something different every time!
A: I wrote a comprehensive "manual" in this thread.

Q: Can I play games on my A2?
A: Officially, no. Unofficially, yes you can but there are some strings attached. See this guide.

Last edited by MCSmarties; 09-04-2007 at 08:49..
MCSmarties is offline View MCSmarties's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:40   #3
doniago
I, Like, Do Stuff Here.

Thanks!

Since you've got links and pretty graphics and all I'm going to leave your post as a supplement rather than trying to work it into the initial FAQ.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:38   #4
epaludo

Q: How do i take care of my Cowon A2 internal battery?
A: A battery treatment topic has been discussed here.

Q: Which size is the Cowon A2 screen?
A: 480x272 pixels

Q: How long it's supposed to last the Cowon A2 battery? How long does it actually lasting?
A: Supposed to last 18 hours for audio and 10 hours for video. There's some dicussion on Battery Life and Battery Test threads

Q: How do i organize my Cowon A2 files?
A: This is a subjective topic, so other than post a single answer here i thought better to post a discussion link. Here's my method.

Q: How do i add lyrics to my audio files?
A: Take a look at this tutorial.

Q: My Cowon A2 are not displaying subtitle's special chars (á,â,ã,é,ê, etc) correctly?
A: Try changing the system language in setup -> display -> appearance to Europe (ISO8859-1).

Last edited by epaludo; 08-30-2006 at 12:47..
epaludo is offline View epaludo's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 00:18   #5
Zeus's Uncle
multimedia aficionado

Q: My A2 says it's connected but it does show in My Computer, there is no drive letter for it.

A: If you are using Windows XP, Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003 do this...

Click Start
Click Run
Type in diskmgmt.msc
Find the iAudio drive and right-click on it
Click Change Drive Letter
Give it a drive letter and you should be good.

Should afruff decide to contradict or address me, and you would like a response, please let me know; he is on my ignore list.

Quality AND Quantity.
Zeus's Uncle is offline View Zeus's Uncle's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 16:05   #6
yony

Wink

[QUOTE=doniago;96439]

Q) Do I need to install all available firmwares, or only the most recent?
A) Only the most recent. All changes made in previous firmwares are included within the current release.
i had to put 1.77 and then 1.81

A) 720 x 576.
not true! it will work up to 720x576 files, but the video output to the tv is 640x480
yony is offline View yony's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 16:15   #7
MCSmarties

Quote:
Originally Posted by yony View Post
A) 720 x 576.
not true! it will work up to 720x576 files, but the video output to the tv is 640x480
Sorry, not true also. I know for a fact that 672 x 378 works perfectly on a TV out.
In fact, I seem to recall that the limit was upped to 720 x 576 TV-OUT with one of the later firmwares (not sure which one)

COWON needs to make an updated manual available!
MCSmarties is offline View MCSmarties's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:42   #8
yony

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSmarties View Post
Sorry, not true also. I know for a fact that 672 x 378 works perfectly on a TV out.
In fact, I seem to recall that the limit was upped to 720 x 576 TV-OUT with one of the later firmwares (not sure which one)

COWON needs to make an updated manual available!
you didn't understand me...

the A2 is able to play files that are up to 720x576.
so it can play your 672 x 378 with no problem, on the A2 LCD or TV-OUT.

BUT, the REAL output to the tv screen is 640x480. not more.
you wont see the differense on the regular tv, but you will see in on plasma or lcd televisions.
yony is offline View yony's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 16:12   #9
bruceleroy

Q) What are the functions of the remote besides the obvious?
A)
In player mode:
If you hold the play/pause button it skip to the next folder.
If you hold the EQ/Mode button it will jump to and from Player and Radio mode.

In Radio mode:
If you press the Play/pause button will jump to and from preset and non preset mode.
When in preset mode the REC/A-B button will delete your current preset.(which sucks because i push it in all the time)
when in nopreset mode the REC/A-B will add the current station as a preset.
bruceleroy is offline View bruceleroy's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:06   #10
mssx

Album Art

there are two ways of being able to show album art along with your music. this option is available from FW 1.77 i think..

1. the easiest (and more sensible) way is to just place the.jpg,.png file in the folder in which you put your music. for example, you want to display album art for the song Painkiller, by Judas Priest. you put the song in Music>Judas Priest>Painkiller>Painkiller(song). If you don't have the album art, download ot off the net, and then place it in the folder Painkiller. you will be able to see the image you put in this folder as the album art, not only for this song, but for each and every song in that folder.

2. this method involves writing the album art image into the tag of the song(mp3 or wma only) (i haven't tried album art for oggs or flac yet). use the 'Edit Tag' feature of JetAudio in the 'picture' tab. either that or you can use any of the loads of programs available. use this method only if you are putting a lot of different songs in a single folder. this is unadvisable because it will naturally increase the size of the file.
Old 06-26-2007, 14:43   #11
reddevil4evr

Default Adapter 220 or 240v?

This post may seem annoying cos this may have been discussed before so i'll apologise before saying anything , well MCSmarties posted that the adpter could take upto 240v but the official statement from Cowon says 110v - 22ov ( used the link MCSmarties provided), so has anyone actually used it in a country which uses 230v or 240v? MCSmarties has said that several people have confirmed using it at 110 to 240v but I wanna make sure he didn't confuse 220v with 240v cos the Cowon site says 220v. Thank you.
reddevil4evr is offline View reddevil4evr's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:50   #12
stow

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevil4evr View Post
This post may seem annoying cos this may have been discussed before so i'll apologise before saying anything , well MCSmarties posted that the adpter could take upto 240v but the official statement from Cowon says 110v - 22ov ( used the link MCSmarties provided), so has anyone actually used it in a country which uses 230v or 240v? MCSmarties has said that several people have confirmed using it at 110 to 240v but I wanna make sure he didn't confuse 220v with 240v cos the Cowon site says 220v. Thank you.
Yeah - I've run it in the UK fine. 230V is okay and I'm sure 240V will be fine too.
Old 12-09-2009, 20:51   #13
jokerflingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stow View Post
Yeah - I've run it in the UK fine. 230V is okay and I'm sure 240V will be fine too.
Dont know if it matters after waiting 2 years for a reply
Old 12-09-2009, 22:55   #14
doniago
I, Like, Do Stuff Here.

Indeed.
Please don't resurrect long-dormant threads unless there's a very good reason for doing so. At that point you're better off starting a new thread, especially as the turnover rate here is high enough that the original poster quite possibly isn't around to benefit from your response in any case.

NOTE - This isn't an invitation to debate the subject, just a restatement of policy. Debate, if desired, can go someplace where it wouldn't be off-topic.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:08   #15
stow

Sorry I was just trying to be helpful and didn't think it was worth starting a new thread especially as this is a sticky anyway.