iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Hard Disk Players > Cowon A2

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-19-2006, 07:20   #1
janbemel

Default How to create your own startup logo

There is a way to really personalise your A2, for instance by using your very own startup/shutdown logo. Here's how to do this.

1. Choose the picture you want to use for the logo. This can be any picture you like.
2. In a graphics package, change the picture size to: Length 480 pixels, Height 272 pixels. Remember that the length/height ratio of the original very probably is not kept, so take a landscape-oriented picture.
3. Change the number of pixels per inch to 2.500 or 3.000.
4. Change the colour depth to 8 bit / 256 colours.
5. Save the image as a Windows Bitmap (.BMP) file.
6. Connect your A2 to your computer.
7. Copy the image you created to the root folder of your A2.
8. Rename it to A2_LOGO (so without any file extentions).
9. Disconnect your A2.
10. Turn on the A2, and you'll see the same screen that appears when you upgrade the firmware.
11. After a couple of seconds, the new logo appears, and ready you are!

If the expected logo does not appear, recheck the image's properties.

Keep in mind that the original startup/shutdown logo has been overwritten and is no longer available. You can take Cowon's default logo from the CD supplied with your A2.

Have Fun!

Last edited by janbemel; 07-21-2006 at 11:23..
janbemel is offline View janbemel's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-19-2006, 16:14   #2
hobo

nice.Thanks!
hobo is offline View hobo's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:30   #3
Nerval
Catman

Thank you janbemel
It didn't work first time, then I reset the colours to 256 and there it went.
Brilliant.
Don't know about 2500 pixels per inch though!!
Nerval is offline View Nerval's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 15:00   #4
janbemel

Well, that value of 2500 pixels per inch was the value of one of those logos which can be found here on this site. But my graphics package could choose either 2000 or 3000.
janbemel is offline View janbemel's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:23   #5
jaqian

I'd be interested to see what logos you came up with and how good they look. Any chance of photos?
jaqian is offline View jaqian's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:53   #6
yony

yony is offline View yony's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:22   #7
B|iND

wot art programs are you using cos i cant get mine 2 work im using photoshop. i start new image using 8bit rgb colour but then when i go 2 save it i can only save as 16bit. so have to open in windows paint:S and change to 256 colour but this aint workin.

EDIT: i copied yony's image just to make sure i was saving it on the a2 correctly and it still didnt work

Last edited by B|iND; 07-28-2006 at 07:50..
B|iND is offline View B|iND's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:36   #8
Nerval
Catman

I used the free irfanview www.irfanview.com which allows you to specify the exact number of pixels to output the picture, as well as the other stuff.

Try reading your photoshop image into that and outputting it to the required spec. It worked on mine anyway.
Nerval is offline View Nerval's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:52   #9
Preston

Quote:
Originally Posted by B|iND
wot art programs are you using cos i cant get mine 2 work im using photoshop. i start new image using 8bit rgb colour but then when i go 2 save it i can only save as 16bit. so have to open in windows paint:S and change to 256 colour but this aint workin.

EDIT: i copied yony's image just to make sure i was saving it on the a2 correctly and it still didnt work
I have no difficulty in saving an Indexed Colour image as an 8bit Bitmap in Photoshop CS2, and I've never had any trouble replacing my boot logos on the Cowon. Remember, you have to remove the file extension from the .BMP file, leave it in the Cowon's root directory, and then go through the updating firmware procedure, and it'll replace the logo for you. Leaving a .BMP file in the root directory and then going through the procedure may lead to undesirable results (I don't know; I never tried).

I wouldn't support the use of MS Paint for anything, quite frankly, and neither would I use it in such a 'delicate' procedure, I mean, even its .JPEG compression sucks. I wouldn't be surprised if the 256 image MS Paint is creating for you just meets MS's idea of a 256 colour image, ie. 260 colours.

You could use Cowon's boot logo as a template; I believe it is in a directory in the Image folder. Just give it a .BMP extension and open it with Photoshop. You'll want to choose an adaptive 256 colour palette in the Indexed Colour dialog box to avoid your boot logo looking as if someone threw up over your Cowon, though.
Preston is offline View Preston's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 11:08   #10
B|iND

nope still cant get it 2 work, i think my a2 h8s me tbh.
B|iND is offline View B|iND's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:15   #11
ejp

you guys should also try visiting the official cowon forums too. well, the one at cowonamerica.com at least.

http://www.cowonamerica.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=7924
ejp is offline View ejp's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:40   #12
yony

Quote:
Originally Posted by B|iND

i used the "psp" software to sezise my dog's picture,
and changed the colores to 256.
saved the file as bmp, changed to "A2_logo", put it in the root directory, and restarted the player.
that's it.
yony is offline View yony's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:20   #13
Nogmor

For all the people who still aren't sure exactly what to do with the photoshop and how to convert an image into your cowon A2, I made this small video screen recording. Enjoy! And Hope it helps. :-)

(loosley based on someone's directions, it works, so if you want to tweek with the settings feel free, but this is just the sure-working way of it.)

Logo Change Tutorial

And ignore the last bit where I accidently forgot to remove the previously tested A2_LOGO file and another non-related file.

Still, simply copy and paste into the root of the cowon A2.

Last edited by Nogmor; 11-21-2006 at 03:23..
Nogmor is offline View Nogmor's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 16:49   #14
ChronosBolts
lvl.1 Warrior

ChronosBolts is offline View ChronosBolts's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:50   #15
varun

I know that's not the correct shade of yellow for Homer. It looks rather dull in the picture but it looks perfect once you load it on the A2. Use Paint to change the name or the entire message.

Last edited by varun; 02-18-2007 at 02:55..
varun is offline View varun's Photo Album   Reply With Quote