iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Cowon S9 > S9 Firmware

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-20-2012, 10:50   #1
patxly

Help How to reformat?

my cowon s9 is freezing when I try to play it keep having to reset it is this a fault with the s9 as a few of my friends have experienced the same trouble, can anyone here tell me how to reformat it in easy stages thanks as I am not that tecnical thank you patty
patxly is offline View patxly's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-20-2012, 15:37   #2
Rodster

I can tell you how it's done on the iAudio 10 which is also flash based. I connect it to my Windows PC and select format ( I prefer long format). It will wipe the data.

I then safely eject the device. It powers off automatically. When I power it on the hidden partition on the i10 reloads the operating system on the player. I then choose my language then i'm back in business other than reinstalling all my music.
Rodster is offline View Rodster's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 15:55   #3
zen-kizu
Formerly "Kizune"

I highly doubt the i10 does restore the firmware or anything, on the S9 and J3 at least the firmware is just not accessible and is thus not affected by formatting. The System folder only contains one or two config files and UCIs, that is all.
And all the S9/J3 does after the formatting is that it restores the default folders and files and then behaves like on its first use.

Profiles: Google+ // deviantART // flickr
zen-kizu is offline View zen-kizu's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 16:04   #4
WAI
VIP Member

Send a message via MSN to WAI Send a message via Yahoo to WAI

only a re-flash of the firmware could fix this unless... your using a different launcher or a custom UI "Music, Mainmenu, Etc" which in any case the SOL File may have gotten screwed up. also, certain FLAC Files have known to freeze up the S9 but don't come asking me for help on that one Lol
+ READ the Disclaimer Notice.Thanks!
Link to All COWON Products includes: Firmware/Manuals/logos (Unable to access them without Login)
FOLLOW ME!

Youtube
Twitter
WAI is offline View WAI's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 16:51   #5
Rodster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizune View Post
I highly doubt the i10 does restore the firmware or anything, on the S9 and J3 at least the firmware is just not accessible and is thus not affected by formatting. The System folder only contains one or two config files and UCIs, that is all.
And all the S9/J3 does after the formatting is that it restores the default folders and files and then behaves like on its first use.
Yeah I can't say what's happening behind the scenes but when I formatted my i10 and I did it twice btw.

As soon as I powered on the i10 it brought me to the language screen and all my settings were like those from the factory. Also all of the folders on the i10 were reinstalled. How do I know?

Because after the format was complete the i10 was blank via windows file manager. Everything was gone. Total was was 14.9 and free space was 14.9GB
Rodster is offline View Rodster's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 17:14   #6
zen-kizu
Formerly "Kizune"

You just sounded very confident in your post (no "I think"s or "maybe"s) and thus I wanted to tell you the reality (of the S9 and J3 at least).
(BTW, the space Windows shows has nothing to with the firmware being hidden or not... on my Palm Pre the OS is also hidden and Windows doesn't show any extra-space used or anything)

Profiles: Google+ // deviantART // flickr
zen-kizu is offline View zen-kizu's Photo Album   Reply With Quote