iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > Other DAP's

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2012, 08:19   #1
sonic

Default iBasso DX100 Android audio player announced

Hopefully not a duplicate post. There's a 76 page thread on Head-Fi about this device already although most of it's going over my head.

http://anythingbutipod.com/2012/01/i...ayer-announced

Hopefully it will have sufficient battery life to be portable and not be rediculously expensive. Personally I usually have a portable (iBasso) headphone amp attached to my D3 so the combined thickness is close to that of the dx100. If nothing else, it's good to see another company making forays into the hq sound 'droid pmp/dap market.

Last edited by sonic; 01-12-2012 at 08:22..
sonic is offline View sonic's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-13-2012, 17:37   #2
WhiteS9

Judging from the specs, it seems like this thing is going to be fairly hardcore. I can assure you though that yes, it will most certainly be ridiculously expensive. And no doubt will they fit a gargantuan battery in that huge brick - the question is if it is enough.
WhiteS9 is offline View WhiteS9's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 21:06   #3
Enzyme
(A)rrogance (B)reeds (I)gnorance

bloody hell that is a chunk ><

pretty one though always like solid looking stuff, think i want it already >< especially after looking at the prices of portable amps.
and i see its on the ibasso mainpage already

Last edited by Enzyme; 01-13-2012 at 21:17..
Enzyme is offline View Enzyme's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 21:24   #4
checkmate134

This certainly looks promising. The specs look great so IMO the only things that might go wrong are battery life and pricing.

Pricing... about that...
checkmate134 is offline View checkmate134's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 23:51   #5
TheDarkSide
Haters gonna hate,...

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkSide

I'm getting this,...my tax $$$ going to good usage.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:50   #6
sonic

Indeed, for those people accustomed to carrying around their pmp with a headphone amp, the size isn't so much an issue. Also, it's nice to no longer worry about the amp scratching the pmp or needing to replace a damaged interconnect etc. Also kinda a hassle remembering how long ago the headphone amp was charged and having it run out randomly during the day. Having everything in a single device will rectify these at the least.

One downside I see (from the early, one sided pictures) is the lack of hardware buttons for playback. I was planning on upgrading the ibasso amp I got 3 years ago so I'm watching this new line from ibasso with interest.

Latest news on head-fi thread includes a reply from ibasso to a member:
Quote:
"Hi,

Thank you for your email. According to the chip's datebase, it supports up to 32GB. But there is rumor that it can support 64GB as well. But we dont have the 64GB card, and cant verify this.

We released the DX100's information on Dec 3rd, 2011. We will release the DX100 in a few days, and it will meet our 45 days promise.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio"
Fingers crossed for reasonable pricing and good reviews/feedback inc real world battery tests.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:18   #7
Enzyme

hmm i was a cheeky git and mailed em with a few questions too, same reply

Quote:
Hi,
Thank you for your email.
We will releaes the DX100 in a few days. You will get your answers very soon.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio
Old 01-14-2012, 15:11   #8
WhiteS9

Quote:
One downside I see (from the early, one sided pictures) is the lack of hardware buttons for playback.
Yes ... that is a problem. Then again, the rest of the features are so impressive I bet a lot of people will get it anyway.
WhiteS9 is offline View WhiteS9's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:28   #9
sonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteS9 View Post
Yes ... that is a problem. Then again, the rest of the features are so impressive I bet a lot of people will get it anyway.
Indeed, the pricing is now estimated at $700 and on head-fi there is speculation that supply probably wont keep up with demand (in terms of audiophiles who won't be able to resist pulling out their credit cards once it's released to the international market) so I doubt there'll be a price drop in the short term

Some updates:

Quote:
Read on Mobile01 and erji.net that someone received the following info from Jaben management:

1. DX100 is completed and now in production.

2. There are limited units and rumored that first batch of 500 units had already shipped to Japan.

3. Estimated availability date should be after Chinese New Year. Actual date TBC.

4. The music player on Android is written by iBasso and the system (?) is separated from Android OS

5. The screen is >= 4 inches (so probably just imagine a much thicker SGS II or Droid RAZR?)

6. Estimated price is around 4K RMB+ (around 700+ USD). Actual price TBC.

7. Jaben tester tested the music quality but not the battery life

8. The product was scheduled for Christmas but delayed as iBasso was strict about the system quality and lately, there were revisions on the software.
Here's some info on a Japanese distributor's site:
http://www.hibino-intersound.co.jp/i...tion/2833.html

Also, I did come across some info that it will have a 1.2ghz cpu (CS email to enquiry posted on headfi) so at least they aren't underpowering their first android DAP unlike some.

Also, came across info (sorry can't find the source now) that playtime will be 10+ hours. Could be worse I suppose. Android itself is well known for poor battery performance so considering 20 hours music playback seems to be around the norm (best case, I've never seen it myself) for the D3, 10 hours for a DAP+DAC+Amp seems ok.

Edit: In case anyone can't vbe bothered to translate the info off the Japanese distributor's site:

Quote:
Key features of the R10 ■ HDP-
compression 24Bit/192K • Non renewable Hz high-resolution sound
source, such as 24Bit/192K MP3 upsampled by Hz, high-resolution playback of existing music sources
• Canada ESS Technology 's 32-bit-DAC "SABRE32 Reference audio DAC ES9018" with (at the transmission connection I2S)
audio technology, bringing together iBasso audio, headphone drive capability independent of the op amp high LR said
high-rigidity, vibration-free, non-resonant an optional mounting base machined aluminum alloy monobloc pursuing
adoption Android OS
Wi-communication function Fi (certification TELEC)
USB slot equipped
with Flash Memory 64GB
digital output, line output with the
Micro SD (microSD support HC) card slot
• Lithium-polymer battery (corresponding to the Electrical Appliance and Material Safety Law) being developed for the specification of ※, when the product availability and specifications may differ in appearance.

Also be good if elements of the amp/dac parts of the dx100 can be upgraded by the owner over time like one can do with iBasso's other products (or with many desktop devices on the market).

Last edited by sonic; 01-17-2012 at 10:04..
Old 01-17-2012, 12:22   #10
Enzyme

that seems very pricey considering most of there gear is very reasonably priced.

and 10 hours just wont cut it, nor does it look like it would suffer with that little playtime based on the size of the device.

got a feeling we can expect more.

also curious as to why a reseller is listing specs when the ibasso themselves are all set to keep it under wraps until release, surely the first place that info would be seen is the ibasso website.
Old 01-17-2012, 13:56   #11
sonic

^I think it's because the (first?) 500 units are being earmarked for Japanese market and that iBasso themselves are holding the specs back until whoever is their authorized distributor in Japan decides they want to fully disclose the specs. I read something to that effect at some point. So, maybe that reseller is the authorized distributor or acting on the Japanese ditributor's behalf?

iBasso D12 (DAC+AMP combo) is $285. I guess the dx100 is slightly upgraded (ES9108 instead of dual Wolfsons) but has otherwise been likened to the D12 by ibasso in communication. Maybe it's like a $320-350 version of the D12 + a $350 'droid PMP/DAP with 64gb flash (I think the 32gb D3 was 250-270 about 6 months after release which is around $350?)

The $700 is still speculation of course, hopefully it will be more affordable.

Quote:
got a feeling we can expect more.
Fingers crossed you're right. This will be a great benchmark for the niche of DAP+DAC+AMP in a single portable package and should hopefully lead to more (similar) innovation by other companies.

Last edited by sonic; 01-17-2012 at 13:58..
Old 02-03-2012, 11:25   #12
TheDarkSide
Haters gonna hate,...

Send a message via Yahoo to TheDarkSide

$699 for the first review batch released, and $829 for the commercial release afterwards,...I'll pass on this one. The head-fi threads contain all the (obsessive) details.

http://ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=78
Old 02-03-2012, 21:04   #13
checkmate134

Yeah, the pricing is kinda steep. The quarter inch jack was really great though.
checkmate134 is offline View checkmate134's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:10   #14
Enzyme

very pretty device ><
Old 02-07-2012, 05:31   #15
zaoltryence

Yeah really steep pricing, ill probably get this in the next couple of months after it stabilizes software wise for now I'm sticking with a 1 month old j3
zaoltryence is offline View zaoltryence's Photo Album   Reply With Quote