iAudiophile.net Forums

Go Back   iAudiophile.net Forums > Flash-Memory Players > iAudio E2

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2009, 17:11   #1
dooood
nop

Default early xmas present

I got an E2 as an early christmas present from a friend. apparently it cost less than a 100 swiss francs (so bout 100$ and less than 70). I've never had an mp3-player without a screen, but so far i've gotten a really great impression.

The player is designed very minimalistically. there are only 6 buttons: on/off, ffw, rew, vol up, vol down, and shuffle/BBE+.

There's a tiny little hole on the backside of the player (right next to the reset), which is actually an LED light (can switch between red and green), which indicates whether music is playing, the player's being charged or is fully charged or if an error has occurred:

The 3.5mm earphone jack has 3 functions: obviously as input for headphones, as USB jack (the USB-cable connects through the earphone jack), and as Play/Pause button. After turning the E2 on, the music starts to play, as soon as the headphones are connected, and pauses if they're taken out again.

The USB cable connects through the earphone jack and doubles as charger. while charging the LED light will indicate if the device is charging properly or is fully charged.

Most of the buttons are fairly self-explanatory. on one side there are the Power button and FFW/REW-button:

on the other side there are the volume controls and shuffle/BBE+:

The shuffle/BBE+ button is the only one that needs further explaining. by pressing and holding the button you can switch between SHUFFLE ON and SHUFFLE OFF, which will be indicated by a female voice, the so called voice guide.
By simply pressing the button for a short time you can switch between BBE+ presets in the following order:
Normal → BBE → BBE ViVA → BBE ViVA 2 → BBE Mach3Bass → BBE MP → BBE Headphone → BBE Headphone 2 → BBE Headphone 3 → Normal
You will be told to which preset you just changed by the voice guide.

In switzerland you can get the optional clip free of charge when you buy the player, which is actually quite useful. the clip is made up of two parts and is affixed to the player by the metal ring:

iAudio M3 (20GB - Silver) - May- 2005-Jul.2007 (R.I.P.
as ext. HD)

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

AAAHHH! A KILLER BUNNY IS RAPING ME!!!
dooood is offline View dooood's Photo Album   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-16-2009, 17:40   #2
dooood
nop

Default Review

Now for the review.

As mentioned above, I've never had an mp3-player without a screen, so I won't be able to compare it all that much to other such players. One fairly obvious advantage it has over the iPod Shuffle is of course the controls on the actual player. while the Nano can only be controlled with apple's headphones the E2 can be used with any headphones. This, coupled with Cowon's knack, offers great sound quality which can be tweaked using the BBE+ presets.

Some of the flaws of this device:
  • Lack of a "hold". I accidentally changed the BBE+ three or four times today, and it's kinda annoying to switch through all the presets till you're back at the one you wanted.
  • Too many presets? Might be a little overkill.
  • First time using the player, I had to recheck the manual to figure out which button was FFW and which one REW. they're both indicated with an > (or <). Otherwise the controls are really simple and clear.
  • Can't turn off the voice guide. Not complaining (yet), I'd just like to have the option.
That's all the major flaws I can think of now. Since there is no screen the extent of customizing has to be limited and I think Cowon solved that problem quite neatly with the BBE+ presets. The whole concept of the player is actually realized quite perfectly.
as ext. HD)

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Old 12-16-2009, 17:48   #3
WAI
VIP Member

Send a message via MSN to WAI Send a message via Yahoo to WAI

very very very... nice dooood. how's the SQ and BQ?
+ READ the Disclaimer Notice.Thanks!
Link to All COWON Products includes: Firmware/Manuals/logos (Unable to access them without Login)
FOLLOW ME!

Youtube
Twitter
WAI is offline View WAI's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 15:02   #4
dooood
nop

SQ as mentioned above is great, as is usual for cowon products.
BQ (build quality?): the player seems to be built fairly well. i don't think that dropping it should damage anything on the inside. on the other hand, the earphone jack looks like the one on my old M3, which would get loose every couple of months. i'm a bit afraid that might happen to the E2.
as ext. HD)

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Last edited by dooood; 12-19-2009 at 15:17..
Old 12-19-2009, 15:28   #5
Numer0bis

Send a message via ICQ to Numer0bis Send a message via AIM to Numer0bis Send a message via MSN to Numer0bis Send a message via Yahoo to Numer0bis Send a message via Skype™ to Numer0bis

where did you get the e2 from? I ordered one from digitec.ch and didn't receive a clip with it
Old 12-19-2009, 19:10   #6
dooood
nop

k55 in Zurich. http://www.k55.ch/

you get 5% off if you're a student.

so how are you liking the player?
as ext. HD)

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Old 12-20-2009, 00:51   #7
Numer0bis

Send a message via ICQ to Numer0bis Send a message via AIM to Numer0bis Send a message via MSN to Numer0bis Send a message via Yahoo to Numer0bis Send a message via Skype™ to Numer0bis

Now I know where I should get my mp3 players :-)

I really like the e2. I had to consult the manual to figure out which functions are mapped to which buttons but otherwise I really like the player. Sound Quality is superb as to be expected, might be not on par with d2 or the s9 but it still outperforms most mp3 players I had over the years, especially compared to the new shuffle which can only be used with the stock headphones. One of my first mp3 players was also a screenless creative muvo with 512mb and if the mp3layer is so small you really don't mind that it doesn't have a screen.

Best Regards

Numer0bis
Old 12-20-2009, 08:05   #8
dooood
nop

Yeah, the store is great, cuz they give you a 2 year warranty (at least for cowon) on all mp3-players. Plus my university is literally next door.

I'm also loving my new player. I went snowboarding yesterday (-20C, fucking insane!) and the E2 took it all. due to its tiny size, you barely notice it's there.
as ext. HD)

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Old 12-20-2009, 11:44   #9
Numer0bis

I used to study computer science at ETH, didn't manage to get throug the "Basisjahr" and now I am at the FHNW in Brugg ;-).

I love the tiny size as well. I carry it with me all the time and never notice that its even there .
Old 12-25-2009, 22:50   #10
jolo10
Promoter of Open Source

Thumb Up Everything is about sound quality and available codecs

Thanks for the review, but I would like to ask you some questions:

• It seems like the two most important features weren't discussed.
    Those are sound quality.
    Availability of the superior open source codecs, like Ogg Vorbis and FLAC.
  • The Ipods I have heard, cannot compare, in audio quality to any of the COWON's that I own and have owned. The seem like toys to me. Especially with the limitations that Apple/Microsoft forces on their users, buy not allowing for losless FLAC and Ogg Vorbis natively. That is what I use exclusively for my audio on my D2s and Iaudio U3 and U7 that I have owned.
  • Another big item is that I hope that we can use simple drag and drop facilities and the use of Linux and not locked into any Windows application ?
  • If there is no HOLD, that would be a serious issue. Then it would subject to distortion when moving, as well as changing in what is being listened to.
    Is it true that it turns off, when headphones are unplugged ?
  • It sounds like the availability of many pre-sets would be a major plus. If someone doesn't want to use more presets, then don't. Why is that a negative. I wish there were more presets for my D2.
  • So, how does it sound and what codecs are used and how was the audio encoded ??
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooood View Post
Now for the review.

As mentioned above, I've never had an mp3-player without a screen, so I won't be able to compare it all that much to other such players. One fairly obvious advantage it has over the iPod Shuffle is of course the controls on the actual player. while the Nano can only be controlled with apple's headphones the E2 can be used with any headphones. This, coupled with Cowon's knack, offers great sound quality which can be tweaked using the BBE+ presets.

Some of the flaws of this device:
  • Lack of a "hold". I accidentally changed the BBE+ three or four times today, and it's kinda annoying to switch through all the presets till you're back at the one you wanted.
  • Too many presets? Might be a little overkill.
  • First time using the player, I had to recheck the manual to figure out which button was FFW and which one REW. they're both indicated with an > (or <). Otherwise the controls are really simple and clear.
  • Can't turn off the voice guide. Not complaining (yet), I'd just like to have the option.
That's all the major flaws I can think of now. Since there is no screen the extent of customizing has to be limited and I think Cowon solved that problem quite neatly with the BBE+ presets. The whole concept of the player is actually realized quite perfectly.
jolo10 is offline View jolo10's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 23:01   #11
jolo10
Promoter of Open Source

Thumb Up More help with sound quality and capacity.

• Is there a SDHC expansion slot ?? or are you limited to the flash RAM that it comes with ??
  • It was mentioned that the sound quality wasn't as good as the D2 (which I have and the SQ is amazing). Please tell me more about this, as I am very interested in the E2, as a nice extra portable audio player, as well as a gift. I'd love to give this as a gift, especially for people who have Ipods. I know that when Ipod users listen to my D2, they are blown away by the quality and the power.
  • As I said earlier, I use mostly audio encoded as Ogg Vorbis q6, and some FLAC (losless), encoded audio for some music that I just have to hear losless. No MP3 and certainly none of the mediocre "W" formatted audio or anything with the DRM virus on it.
  • I also use third party headphones from Sennheiser. Either my PX100 II (the PX100 IIs are just out), open headphones, or my CX 500 earbuds.
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numer0bis View Post
Now I know where I should get my mp3 players :-)

I really like the e2. I had to consult the manual to figure out which functions are mapped to which buttons but otherwise I really like the player. Sound Quality is superb as to be expected, might be not on par with d2 or the s9 but it still outperforms most mp3 players I had over the years, especially compared to the new shuffle which can only be used with the stock headphones. One of my first mp3 players was also a screenless creative muvo with 512mb and if the mp3layer is so small you really don't mind that it doesn't have a screen.

Best Regards

Numer0bis
jolo10 is offline View jolo10's Photo Album   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:32   #12
dooood
nop

First things first: SQ's better than you'd expect from a tiny little player like the E2. Definitely better than you're standard iPod, but not as great as D2, O2, S9 or I9, which may be a result of lack of customization options. but again, I think cowon solved the no-screen-problem elegantly.
I've noticed recently that it's rather softer than I'd like (and I usually listen on vol. level 9 on the D2). I figured out why that is: the E2 has some feature built in, where if you had had the volume above 20 (of 40) before turning it off, it will reset the volume back to 20 after turning it on again.
As for FLAC and OGG support: haven't tried it out myself, because all my files are in mp3 format from my old M3 days. but according to cowonglobal it does indeed support those two among wav, wma, and mp3.

of course you can drag&drop. I actually haven't used JetShell or any of those programs in quite a while now.
i've learned to live without the hold button. the only real issue is accidentally pressing the wrong button, such as pressing ffw, instead of vol up or vice versa. since the buttons are on the side, the chance of them being pressed inside your pocket is quite remote, in fact it's never happened to me as yet.
i too use third party headphones: Sennheiser cx300. sounds infinitely better than the stock earbuds, which only look great with the player, but don't sound as good.

i didn't say there were too many presets, i just thought i'd mention the fact that there are quite a few and i haven't been able to experiment with them all, because i've used my E2 mainly for snowboarding and jogging so far. there's just no discernible difference between BBE Headphone 1, 2 and 3 for me.

no SD cards, if anything it would have to have been a micro-SD card. so far i've only thrown my most favorite songs (out of 18gb) on there and i've still got half the space free.
as ext. HD)

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )