iAudiophile.net Forums

iAudiophile.net Forums (http://iaudiophile.net/forums/index.php)
-   Front Page Polls (http://iaudiophile.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Should Cowon make a cell phone/media player? (http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35880)

austinv 03-23-2010 12:47

Should Cowon make a cell phone/media player?

Gadgets have been converging for years... cell phones, MP3 players, cameras, PDAs, etc. Most phones can play audio and video, but not very well. What if Cowon made a phone with audiophile grade quality - would you buy it?

JunglePimp 03-23-2010 12:55

Yep... they should. And yes, I would buy it (though seeing as how this kind of a phone would be really expensive.. I'd have to save up for it). There was a thread on the same topic earlier as well.. let me see if I can find it.

doniago 03-23-2010 12:56

Possibly, if Verizon carried it and Cowon got over a few of their standard annoyances, like their previous resistance to ID3 tagging.

It could be very contingent on storage capacity and OS though. I need my phone to also function as a PDA.

austinv 03-23-2010 13:17

Adding to the problem is what standard they should use. USA is about half GSM (AT&T, T-Mobile) and half CDMA (Verizon, Sprint). Most of the world uses GSM. South Korea being one exception.. they are CDMA too. I'm on Sprint so that's all good. But I doubt Sprint or Verizon would pick up anything from Cowon no matter how good it is, there's already tons of models from brands that people recognize. And both Sprint and Verizon have closed networks so you can't just buy a CDMA phone for either network, they are all locked to one or the other. So if your a smaller company and you want to sell an unlocked phone it has to be GSM.

No I think the most likely scenario is that Cowon would develop a CDMA phone for South Korea and we'd have to find someone that could import them and hack the firmware to work on Sprint or Verizon. But that seems like a long shot.

Maybe Cowon could take an existing GSM design from HTC, like the Nexus One or HD2 running Android, and give it a premium makeover with a custom iAudio UI and upgraded audio components and casing material. But considering the phones go for $500 on their own I imagine this could get very expensive.

doniago 03-23-2010 13:27

I actually have a Verizon phone that can use GSM as well (Samsung Saga).

I definitely wouldn't buy a hacked phone.

TheDarkSide 03-23-2010 13:32

I'd buy a Cowon phone in a heartbeat!!!!

JunglePimp 03-23-2010 13:42

If Cowon sticks to a teleservice that is US-based, it won't have a lot of sales..

TheDarkSide 03-23-2010 17:45

It wouldn't be a US based phone alone, as phone manufacturers tend to tweak hardware so they operate in different countries. Then there's world phones, those are a whole 'nother story.

Peaceful1 03-24-2010 00:42

Yes, one of the best brands that fits cowon situation now is HTC.
as we all know in near past(before 2006) HTC was a OEM and ODM so they use to make products for other brands and they were very successful ,even cowon as a Korean brand with the backup of other great names like Samsung they could find a seclusion.
In a few years ago I imagined cowon as a company that makes stuff a few step further than it’s time like the successor A2 or other products but they don’t have that kind of stuff anymore cowon has that backup to make a phone.
We don’t have any phone that acts like a player and has all their options they take lots of time in scanning the memory lack of supporting tags like players , great deferens in SQ, low battery capacity or … , if they want to make such stuff there are products like “Nokia Xpress music” or “Sony Ericson W series” and others it could be better for cowon if it more act like a complex of a smart phone and a player not a phone that plays songs with good options like others (as a phone) with so much lacks that convince you to take your player with you even if there is no other space in your pocket

number5toad 03-24-2010 12:15

Verizon might pick up a Cowon phone if it ran Android, they're really pushing Android devices lately.

I guess I'm on the fence, I don't want a phone / media player with great audio quality so badly that I'd just buy whatever Cowon put out, but Cowon is about the only manufacturer that would convince me to buy such a device.

JunglePimp 03-24-2010 12:19

As it is a pmp+smartphone would be very expensive, and adding android would shoot the price up really high. May be an OS version and an OS-less version would suit the customers better.

TheDarkSide 03-24-2010 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by JunglePimp (Post 286146)
As it is a pmp+smartphone would be very expensive, and adding android would shoot the price up really high. May be an OS version and an OS-less version would suit the customers better.

JP, using Android as the OS would lower the cost, not raise it - Android is free to use,.....no?????

JunglePimp 03-24-2010 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDarkSide (Post 286157)
JP, using Android as the OS would lower the cost, not raise it - Android is free to use,.....no?????

Oh oh, if that is the case then you might be right. I was linking this to the fact that archos 5 with android costs more than the non-android one... and why didn't anyone point out in the chat when I said the same thing..

number5toad 03-24-2010 17:03

Android is open source, yeah - it would lower the production cost but not necessarily the sticker price

TheDarkSide 03-24-2010 17:06

They're messing w/you JP (joking actually) so don't take it personally. Used to happen to me sometimes, take it w/a grain of salt.